Chapter 84

November 23, 2006

For the past 13 days, Ville has had his ups and downs. Some days he's more fine than normal and it's upset, but other days all Ville is just upset. 

Throughout his experience with his friend committing suicide, he's been drinking heavily; more than normal which I didn't even know was fucking possible. 

His friend's name was Dustin Dubois. He hasn't been able to go into much detail about how they met without crying, so I've stopped asking. 

Ville went to his funeral two days after Dustin died alone. I didn't come with because I didn't know him, but I did wait in the parking lot for him until it was over. 

Bam keeps asking Ville to hang out, but of course 

"I still don't understand why we have to go to this...Thanksgiving dinner," Ville makes a gagging noise as he says this. 

"I don't want to go either, but it's not worth skipping," I knock on my parents' door. I can't believe that I'm actually here right now. 

My parents and I haven't even talked to each other since June...or July--I can't even remember. I don't care. 

My father didn't even defend me. I don't know if he's defending my mother, but he didn't even ask if I was okay. The only ones that have checked up on me are my siblings.

"I love going to a house where I'm hated," He smirks at me. 

"I'm sorry," I say and the door opens. Hailey's behind it. Thank God. 

"You're here!" She beams with happiness and throws her arms around me. "I thought you guys weren't coming!" She gives Ville a quick hug, then walks inside. "Mom and Dad were saying that you weren't coming."

"Why wouldn't we?" I ask, but it's pretty obvious why I wouldn't. Ville and I walk inside. "Are they in the living room?"

She nods and I follow her to the living room, Ville close behind me. 

I don't want to see them. I don't want to see their faces and I don't want to hear their voices. 

The fact that my mother dislikes Ville so much to the point where she thinks that Jake is a better fit for me is just not right. 

I'm ashamed that Ville has to be in their presence. I can't imagine how he must feel seeing them and knowing how they feel about him. 

Or maybe he doesn't care at all. Maybe he's over it. He doesn't seem to care what other people think about him. I mean, he's a musician and people are going to hate on him; he has to have that mentality. 

As we peer around the corner, I squeeze Ville's hand as reassurance for him. He squeezes my hand back. 

My parents are in the kitchen, so I quickly swerve into the couch and Ville and I sit down. 

"Aunt Larissa!" Vanessa stands on the couch and runs across all the cushions to sit on my lap and hug me. 

"Hi," I kiss her cheek and squeeze her. "Oh I've missed you so much."

"Have you met Naomi before?" Vanessa sits on my lap and begins to play with my hair. 

"Yes I have," I reply and look around for her. There she is sitting on the corner of the couch with Axl as his arm is wrapped around her shoulders. She smiles and waves at me, so I reciprocate. Axl gives me a reassuring look due to the circumstances. 

"She's super pretty," She whispers in my ear, then runs across the couch and back over to her father. 

I look up at Ville and he's staring ahead, his leg softly bouncing. I whisper, "Are you doing okay?"