5

I got a job as a copywriter in a small PR firm. It felt like my first big step since I left home for college. I had been dependent on Adam for so many years without making any big life decisions myself. 

I also moved out of Gayle's annex and found a nice little town house for myself. My settlement in the divorce and the monthly alimony meant I could buy the town house and live quite comfortably. 

Things were looking up for me. To my surprise I enjoyed being on my own. I still went out to dinner and drinks with the girls, but I actually enjoyed being at home by myself in my own company. 

One day Gayle called me at work. "Honey, pack your bags! You, me, Ana and Sarah are going to the Caribbean!" she shouted down the phone.

"What do you mean, we're going to the Caribbean?" I replied. "That's not how vacations work, Gayle. You plan ahead."

"Nonsense, El. I've been offered the sweetest deal on a location in Anguilla and I'm taking you all down there to scout the area", Gayle was clearly zipping and unzipping bags while on the phone. She wasted no time when she had her mind set on something. 

"But... what do I do about work? I can't just leave?" I argued knowing very well that she had a solution to that problem as well. 

"Tell them you'll work remotely while attending to some prospective business. Let them know that Gayle Hendricks R.E. Agency is looking for a PR firm to represent her, but she wants a hands-on copywriter, who knows all details. I'll pick you up at home on the way to the airport. Be ready at 7.30!" and then she hung up. 

I sat for a while looking at the phone wondering where she got her crazy ideas from. She delivered her demands with utter confidence. She was a force to be reckoned with and I was in total awe of her.

I walked down the hall and knocked on my boss' door. "Enter!" he shouted and I took a deep breath and walked in.

"Mr. Warren? I was wondering if you have a minute?" I said trying to put on my most confident expression. 

"Ah, Ellie. Come on in! And please, call me Bob", he smiled. Bob was in his late fifties and he had built the firm from the ground up. He seemed like a genuine and nice man. I imagined he lived in a beautiful house with his wife and maybe a few kids. Or maybe the kids were in Ivy league colleges around the country and he and his wife were empty nesters.

"What can I do for you, Ellie?" Bob interrupted my thoughts and looked interested at me. He had kind eyes and somehow that made me feel confident enough to try and sell him the idea of going to Anguilla to work on establishing a relationship with a prospective new client. 

Bob thought it was a great opportunity for the firm. And the fact that it was an all-expenses-paid trip settled the deal. He wished me luck and asked me to check in and let him know how everything was going. 

I closed the door to Bob's office and had to bite my lip not to cry out with happiness. In stead I did a little dance and went back to finish my work for the day.