7

Arriving in Anguilla was like stepping onto a completely different planet. It was stunning. I couldn't wait to get to the resort we were staying at, where I would grab my book and head straight for the beach. 

We ended up getting two taxis to take us to the resort. Ana suggested Gayle be strapped to the roof with her suitcase, which ended up being the dealbreaker. 

The resort was gorgeous. We each had our own little one bedroom condo, which exited straight onto the beach. I stayed in between Ana and Gayle with Sarah in the last condo. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I stood for a while just staring out over the sea taking in the beauty of the clear, turquoise water and the white sand leading down to it. In the distance I could see sun beds lined up under parasols; a perfect spot to just lie and read. 

I had always wanted to go to a place like this. I'd been backpacking in Europe, hiking in Japan, and skiing in Aspen, but I'd never been to a place like this. A place that just invited you to take your shoes off and dive into the waves. 

I stood there for a while just taking it all in when someone suddenly knocked on my door. 

"Room Service!" was called out in a slightly high-pitched voice. 

I opened the door to find my three best friends standing outside with a bottle of something bubbly. We sat down in the sand by the sea and watched the sun set. It was perfect. I felt many things at once; I was grateful for the being there. I was happy to be here with my best friends. I was sad because I felt I had missed out on so much. And somewhere behind all of it I was hopeful for what was to come.