47

Henry came into the dressing room and took a deep breath. I tried to pose, but I was suddenly feeling very self-conscious. His gaze lingered on me from head to toe, with an admiring and lustful expression. His eyes roamed over my body, he smirked at me and gestured for me to come closer and held out his hand. I walked over to him, took his hand and he twirled me around. He pulled me in close and whispered: "You are the most beautiful woman, I have ever seen, and I can't wait to show you off". 

I smiled at him, stood on tiptoe and kissed him gently. "I can't smear makeup all over you", I giggled. "You look so good, I can't even believe it. I just want to stay right here, looking at you". He cupped my face in his hands and looked into my eyes. 

"I love you", he said and kissed my nose. 

"I love you too", I said, putting my arms around him.

***
We were picked up in a limousine, that took us to the airport. The show was taking place in Las Vegas, which was a little over an hour away from LA with a private jet. My nerves were getting the better of me by now. We were joined by Jeff and Glenne, Harry Lambert and a couple of his assistants who were in charge of hair and makeup. Henry held my hand most of the time, talking softly to me and reassuring me that it would be fine. We would arrive at the airport, where a limousine would pick us up and take us to the arena. He promised me that he would step out of the limo first and then assist me out. 

"I'm worried I'll embarrass you somehow. Like what if I fall, or trip you or something like that?" I had already imagined how badly I could make him look, if I didn't focus. 

"You really don't see yourself, love", he said and stroked my cheek. "You won't embarrass anyone, least of all me. I know people will fall in love with you". 

"I've always been a wallflower; shy and introverted. I'm not good in huge crowds or when a lot of people look at me", I almost whispered. I wasn't good at talking about it either. 

"A wallflower?" Henry repeated and seemed to get lost in thought for a short while. He grabbed his notebook; the one he used to write lyrics, poems and ideas in. He turned to a page and wrote "wallflower" at the very top. "And just like that you inspire me again", he said, kissing me on the cheek. 

I smiled at him, glad that he felt inspired by me, but nervous he would regret his decision to bring me when I froze on the red carpet. 

***

We were taken to a lounge in the airport where Harry and his assistants touched up our appearance before we headed to the arena. They would go ahead of us, joining the limo just before we arrived at the venue. They'd make any final adjustments, then hop out again. This way, we'd be all set when our limo glided up to the red carpet. I couldn't help but think the whole process was more complicated than doing my taxes.

The limousine that came to pick us up was nothing short of extravagant and classy. As I stepped inside, I was overwhelmed by its elegance. It was spacious, almost feeling like Henry and I were tiny, little people at the far end of it, all alone. My nerves were getting the better of me, so when Henry offered me a vodka and lemonade, I didn't hesitate to drink it all in one go.

"Oh dear, bottoms up!" Henry exclaimed, taking his own drink in one swig. His carefree attitude made me laugh, exactly what I needed in that moment. Henry had a way of easing my nerves. He poured us a second drink and then offered his arms, inviting me to lean back and take a moment to relax.

I snuggled up to him, resting my cheek against his bare chest. The rhythmic sound of his heartbeat was calming and made me feel at ease. As I settled in, he started humming my song, which had become my most favorite song in the entire world. Even though I hadn't heard it in its entirety, the parts I knew were etched in my heart. So when he hummed those familiar parts, I couldn't resist and softly sang along.His arms tightened around me when he heard my voice joining his. I looked up and noticed that his eyes were glistening with tears, as if he was overwhelmed by the moment. 

"Are you okay?" I exclaimed, touching his cheek to console him. 

He smiled and nodded. "Better than okay, love. I just love you so much". 

I smiled at him and kissed him. I probably shouldn't, I'd ruin my makeup, but Henry was more important. "I love you and my song. Thank you". I kissed him one last time before the team of stylists would take over the place.

***

Harry and the assistants jumped in the limo when we were 10 minutes from the arena. They had about 7 minutes to get us ready. My makeup needed a little redo and my hair was sprayed with something that could probably rid you of ants for all eternity. Our outfits were rolled and the shoes were checked for dirt. I made them check the shoelaces as well, so no one - me mostly - would fall. Henry laughed at it, but he let them check his own as well. 

As swiftly as they entered the limo, they jumped out at a red light and we were on our way to the last part of the journey. There was quite a long line of limos waiting by the arena. One would drive up to the red carpet, someone would get out, and as they began walking along the red carpet, the limo would roll on and the next one would drive up. All we needed to wait for was that someone opened the door, then Henry would get out, do a little wave and then hold out his hand to me, so I could exit the limo safely. 

"It's almost us", Henry whispered and looked at me with such love and admiration in his eyes. 

I took a deep breath and showed him my brave face. 

"That's my brave girl", he whispered as the door was opened and the sound from outside took over my ears. 

Henry took a step out of the limo and the screams hit me like a brick wall. I smiled to myself thinking of all the people who loved him. 

In the opening of the car door, his hand glided in, open and ready for me to grab. I placed my hand in his, took a deep breath, and stepped out into the bright lights.