13

I arranged to meet up with the girls for brunch. Henry took a quick shower, we kissed goodbye for a little while and then he snuck off to find his friends. He made sure to save my number, so we could meet up later. 

When I walked up to the main building and found the place we were meeting for brunch, my phone rang. I looked at the screen. MOM it said in capital letters. I decided to pick up. Afterall it was quite odd for her to call three times in a day. 

"Mom?" I answered. "Is everything alright?"

"Ellie! There you are. I've been trying to catch you all morning. Maybe you're in a different time zone? I was wondering why I couldn't reach you. Well, good thing I have you now. I was just looking at my list of recipients for Christmas cards and it suddenly dawned on me - do I still write Adam? And what of the Parsons? Do we still reach out and wish them a merry Christmas?"

Mom had a way of speaking for so long that I often ended up forgetting to listen. On top of that I was high on the sex I had had a few hours ago and I really wanted to talk to my friends.

"Ellie, are you there? Did you hear me?"
Apparently she thought it took me too long to respond.

"Yeah, sorry mom. Umm...you can do what feels right for you." I replied. Truth of the matter was that I actually didn't care one bit at the moment. Adam and his family were the last thing on my mind. And so was Christmas to be honest, it was still months away.

"Mmm. Well, I suppose you never know. Maybe you two will have sorted things out by then..." Mom went on with that hopeful tone of voice.
My phone buzzed. A text from Henry.

I smiled and felt the tingles in my stomach as I read his message

"Right, Ellie?!" my mom insisted on the phone.
I had forgotten what we were talking about and agreed.

"Yeah, yeah. You're probably right, mom. But hey, I gotta run. Talk soon, love ya!" I said before hanging up.

***
In the restaurant Ana, Sarah and Gayle were waiting for me. They waved me over to the table where they had already started eating. Ana was wearing sunglasses inside which could only mean one thing - she was hungover.
Gayle had a smirk on her face and looked at me with a raised eyebrow.
Sarah was the one to greet me: "Ellie, come sit down. How are you feeling?"

I hadn't updated them since earlier when I wrote that nothing had happened between Henry and me. In a way it felt wrong to tell them about it, but at the same time it felt wrong not to. I smiled at the thought of Henry and what had happened between us.

"Well... I'm feeling pretty good. Henry and I - "

Gayle exclaimed: "I knew it! Pay up!" and they began exchanging money.

I looked from one to the other trying to understand what they were doing.

"We made a bet. These two didn't think you'd do it. I saw the chemistry at once, there was no way you wouldn't end up in bed together", Gayle said while winking at me.

I blushed and covered my eyes.

"Good for you, honey", Sarah said and squeezed my arm.

Ana gave me the thumbs up and sipped her icewater. She had definitely had too many drinks last night, because she would have been the first to ask for all the details of my sexy encounter with a 29-year-old rockstar.

Gayle sent me a small grin and pointed towards Ana, "she won't be having Sex on the Beach today, that's for sure".

"Maybe Ellie will", Ana said drily from behind her sunglasses.