70

Henry left early for the interview. I kissed him goodbye and wished him luck, knowing that he would do so well. He was doing a photosession first and then the interview afterwards. Harry Lambert was joining him for styling and Lloyd had been hired to take the photos. Having his friends there on set would make him less nervous and help him relax so he was ready for the interview. 

I arranged with Gayle that we would work on our wedding invitations. She laughed when I called her and told her what we were planning. "You guys are nuts! I love it!" She exclaimed and got ready to come over to help me out. She had rented an air bnb for the time she was staying in LA, it was cheaper and she wanted Henry and me to have our personal space. 

While I waited for Gayle to come over I drank a smoothie and looked at dresses online. I hadn't thought much about what I wanted to get married in. I knew that Harry Lambert would probably be willing to help me, but I still needed to know what sort of outfit I wanted. I didn't want something big and extravagant. No veil and train and so, it just wasn't my style. I wanted something light and flowy, maybe lace and straps rather than sleeves. It didn't necessarily need to be a gown, but a light flowy summer dress, would probably suit me better. I was browsing through dresses, when Gayle came and let herself in. 

"Hey Elliepea, it's me", she shouted as she came in. I was sitting at the kitchen counter and got down off my chair to greet her. As soon as my feet hit the floor, and Gayle turned the corner into the kitchen I was overwhelmed by dizziness and everything went black as I collapsed on the floor. 

***

I woke to the sound of rhythmic beeping. I blinked my eyes open and saw Gayle sitting next to me, looking gray and worried. She was looking down at her phone, her fingers speeding around, typing a message. 

"Gayle?" I said, my voice sounding coarse and small. 

She looked up and jumped to her feet. "Elliepea!" she exclaimed, tears in her eyes. She pressed the assistance button and held my hand. "You're alright, sweetie." 

A nurse came into the room and smiled at me. "Hello Ellie, good to see you awake", she said as she checked the machines, I was hooked up to. "You gave your friend here an awful fright", she said and smiled at Gayle, who was blowing her nose. "How are you feeling?" she asked me.

I wasn't sure. I was sore, and really sleepy. I wondered if they might have given me something, because I felt better. "I'm not sure", I almost whispered. "I remember feeling really dizzy, but I think that's gone". 

The nurse nodded and jotted something down on her clipboard. "Good, that's good Ellie". 

Gayle's phone was buzzing like crazy. "Do you need to get that?" The nurse asked smiling. 

"It's Ellie's boyfriend", Gayle said, her voice tearfilled. 

"Gayle, he has to do the interview", I said in a small voice, but making sure to keep my tone stern. "He can't come here!"

Gayle wiped her eyes and nodded. "I know Ellie, but he's not really cooperating with me here", she tried to smile, but it was obvious she had had a real fright. 

"Do you need me to talk to him?" I asked. Gayle exchanged looks with the nurse and then shook her head. 

"I'll just go outside and give him a call, okay hon? I'll be right back". 

The nurse stayed in the room with me, checking on me, and asking me questions about how I was feeling and if she could help me get more comfortable. "Partners can be so stubborn", she smiled while arranging my pillow. 

I smiled at her the best I could. "Yeah, he's a bit too stubborn sometimes."

She chuckled and handed me a glass of water. I drank it in one sip. I was incredibly thirsty. 

"Do you know why I fainted?" I asked her, feeling a little better after drinking water. 

She shook her head and kept smiling at me. "There's a doctor coming in a little while, she'll fill you in on what they've found out, okay?" She patted my hand. 

As she turned to go, I noticed a tattoo right under the sleeve of her scrubs; "We'll be alright", it said. Henries everywhere, looking out for me. 

*** 

Gayle came back into the room, phone in hand, holding it towards me. I didn't quite understand what she wanted me to do, until I heard Henry's voice from the phone: "Ellie? Ellie, love?" He sounded distraught. 

I took the phone and put it up to my ear. "Henry? Don't freak out", I said, my voice a little shaky.

Henry was upset, I could hear him sniffling and Jeff in the background, trying to calm him down. "Ellie, I'm so worried", he said in a tearfilled voice. "Please, you have to let me come see you". 

Gayle stood next to me, holding my hand. My strong friend was not having an easy time right now, and it did feel wrong to put this on her. But I really wanted him to finish his interview so his plan for release didn't fail. 

"I know, baby", I said. "But I want you to finish your interview. You have to see this through. The doctor will be here a little later, and then I can call you, okay? I'm fine, really". 

Gayle sniffled a little and tried to smile at me. 

"I love you, Ellie. I'm coming as soon as possible. I love you, so much", he was sounding a little desperate and Jeff was clearly hugging him and telling him that they'd hurry. 

"I love you too, Henry. Most of all." I hung up the phone and handed it to Gayle. She put it in her purse and sat down next to me on the hospital bed. 

"I thought you died on me at first", she said, tears in her eyes. "You were out as a light. Luckily the ambulance came really quickly. I didn't call Henry until we were here and I was sure you weren't dead". She swallowed hard and dried her eyes with the back of her hand. 

"I'm so sorry for scaring you, Gayle", I said in a little voice and squeezed her hand. 

"Do that again and I'll kill you", she chuckled, making me laugh.