When You're Close To Me|NCT Dream

Their group was unique. The concept was simple but not one groups used often. Instead of performing with their own separate mics, every song was performed by pairs sharing one microphone, staring at each other. It was intimate and personal and perfect. The people watching loved it as they could feel the meanings of the ballad songs on a new level seeing how they were performed.

For the boys, it was fairly easy. They were close friends, hell, two of them were even dating. They often joked around and flirted lightheartedly, also displaying lots of affection. They switched up the pairings every once in a while just so it wasn't monotonous and so they themselves didn't always have to be subjected to the couple, Haechan and Mark, showing PDA in front of them.

It was easier when it wasn't a ballad song, just so they could keep the atmosphere from any form of awkwardness but they were used to it. They knew they'd be fine as soon as the cameras turned off and they could lead themselves. And if they were being honest, singing together like that was kinda fun.

There had never been any issues, not with the friends and not with the couple. Everyone knew they were acting when they looked at each other in a little less than friendly ways. Well, they were supposed to be acting.

Lately, Haechan wasn't. 

And it was driving him insane. He had Mark. He loved Mark. His boyfriend was such a huge part of his world and everyone knew that, having witnessed the beginning stages of Haechan falling to now where he was still utterly in love. There was no denying his feelings, he knew they hadn't gone away. 

It had been a while since he was paired with just Mark but that just made him feel worse. He knew he couldn't write the feeling off. Not when he kept having it over and over for people who weren't his boyfriend. He wanted to tell Mark, to get everything off his chest. Mark was his best friend, he was always there for him, ready to offer support. Mark usually understood, but would he understand this?

Haechan wasn't the only one having an issue. Mark was having the same one. So was everyone else. The seven often tried to blame their feelings on the nature of their performances, especially ballad songs where they were each others main focus as they sung out words of love. It was just the mood. Right?

Though it seemed like something special happened every time they were at their filming studio, their feelings weren't just a specific-occasion thing. When they went out, when they talked and laughed and got close, everything they did was like wood to fuel the fire that was their feelings. They all tried to ignore it, they all tried to pretend it wasn't happening 'cause what do you do when you fall for people who are off-limits?

Haechans predicament echoed in his mind as he tries to sing with Jisung, trying to rid his thoughts of everything about the taller boy that drew him on. He tried to focus on the lyrics, words describing a relationship that was filled with nothing but poison. Yet when he looked at the taller boy, he couldn't do it. He couldn't look at him not think or feel all the things he was supposed to feel for just Mark.

He didn't realize his expression had dropped and how he was gazing at Jisung. Jisung noticed but he didn't question it. He liked it. He liked the way Haechan was looking at him and the way his eyes were conveying a message completely different from the one they were singing. If he wasn't crazy then maybe his feelings weren't one-sided.

The end of recording snapped them out of reality and both of their eyes widened as they realized what happened. 'Cause they didn't say a word, their eyes had admitted so much.

Mark walks over, completely oblivious to the situation between his boyfriend and his friend and slings an arm around Haechans shoulders. "You two were so good."