Russians

"Wake up you have work" I heard in Dustin's voice as I slowly woke up. I was still wearing the clothes I wore on my "date". Dustin didn't question it or he just didn't care.

                                  ✎

All Dustin had cared about since he had gotten in the car from camp was going to see Steve. I get it. They're friends. Like best friends. It's kind of weird but either way Dustin loves Steve and Steve treats Dustin like his son and best friend. I think it's cute the way that they take care of each other. The way that they care about each other. I like Steve because of how he is with the kids. All of them. Not just Dustin. He's like their mom.

                                  ✎

I threw on my black pleaded skirt, white long sleeve, red vest, long white and red socks, and black converses before grabbing my keys, mascara, and lipgloss and rushing to the car with Dustin. On the way to the mall Dustin started talking about some code he heard on his cerebro last night but I didn't understand a lot of what he said.

                                ✎

Once we got to the mall he went to scoops and I ran to the pretzel store. "Your late" David said rolling his eyes and handing me my hat and name tag. "Oh really? I didn't know. Thanks Dave" I said sarcastically while turning to the front desk and asking for the costumers order. I did that a couple more times and boom it was 11:30. Lunch.

I walked to Scoops. Once I got there Robin was working and Steve and Dustin were in the back talking about something. "What the fuck are those losers doing?" I said while me and Robin looked into the window. "I don't know but how was your date" she asked I'm a singing voice with serving the next costumer. "Nonexistent" I said rolling my eyes and sitting on the counter like I always do. I explained everything to her. "I'm sorry but he's an asshole anyway and your like way too hot to date a guy like him" she said turning to me. We talked a little bit longer before she was over working.

She swung the door open to the break room causing Steve and Dustin to jump up. "Okay babysitting times over" she said walking up to Steve then turning to the board. "Hey, my board, that was important data shit birds" she said turning to Dustin. "I guarantee, what we're doing is way more important than your data" Dustin said.

"Yeah, and how do you know these Russians are up to no good anyway" Robin asked Dustin. "How does she know about the Russians" Dustin said turning to Steve then to me. "You told her" Dustin said looking at me. "I didn't say shit" I said back defensively. "No one told me anything, you are both extremely loud" she said. I laughed a little causing Robin and Steve to look at me. Robin continued to say Dustin and Steve's theory about the Russians.

She reached over to grab the recorder than Dustin had on the table but before she could Steve grabbed it, "woah, what are you doing?" He asked her. "I wanna hear it" she replied. "Why?" They both responded to her. "Cause maybe I can help, I'm fluent in four languages" she said. "Russian?" Dustin replied. "Oh-yay are-yay umb-yay" she replied making the boys freak out. "That's big Latin" I said to them all. Steve slapped Dustin with his banana peel "idiot".

"But I can speak French and Spanish and Italian and I've been in band for 12 years " she said. " I don't want credit I'm just bored" she said. Steve handed her the recorder and grabbed the scooper. About a second after he went out to the front my pager went off. "I gotta go" I said while opening the door and walking out.

"Where are you going?" Steve asked me. "My job" I responded grabbing a sample spoon and dipping it in the USS Buterscotch flavor. "Going for money or Mason?" He said sarcastically. "Mason actually asked me out" I said before adding to it. "He stood me up though", I knew it wasn't the whole truth but it's all Steve needed to know.

Steve looked at me and spoke. "Well he's a piece of shit anyway and you deserve so much better. Your smart and nice and pretty and just amazing" he stopped and I smiled. "And since he doesn't see that he's fucking stupid" Steve said looking away from me and back to the costumer at the front. "Thanks, pretty boy" I said to him before walking away and eating the ice cream on the spoon.

I walked for a couple more seconds before getting to the Auntie Anne's at the end of the long open mall. "Izzy, you have to come back on time" David said to me. "I know, sorry Dave" I said still blushing due to me and Steve's conversation. "Are you okay?" David said to me. "Yep, I'm fucking great" I responded looking at him and smiling. "That Greta because you need to take orders" he said smiling back and grabbing my shoulders to face me to the line of people before pushing me toward it.

                               ✎

After serving a few people someone very familiar walked in the store. Allison Taylor and her new boy toy.  "Hi, what can I get you?" I said cheerfully trying to be unphased by them. "You really work here?" Allison said laughing and rolling her eyes. "Yeah, you should get a job too maybe you can help your daddy pay bills when your still living with him at 40" j said still smiling. She rolled her eyes and Mason ordered for them. "I'll call your name when it's ready" I said to them as they walked away and sat down.

                               ✎

After a couple hours it was finally the end of the day. I had to drive Dustin and Robin home. I caught up to them after offering to close the store so I could stay around till we were the last ones there. I ran up to them and walked behind Robin and Dustin and Bessie Steve. They were talking about the Russians while I spaced out before Steve running off fought my attention.

I ra off behind him causing Robin and Dustin to notice too. "You guys? What the hell" Robin said as I shrugged my shoulders. " I need a quarter" Steve said to all of us running toward the "Indiana Flyer". "Why?" I said before being interrupted by Steve "quarter!" He said now screaming at all of us. I threw one to him as he put it in the plastic horse ride.

The horse moved and music started to play. "Need help getting up, pretty boy?" I said to him sarcastically. He shushed me as Dustin dropped his bag and pulled out the recorder. As he played it we all heard the same music in the background. "So what? Maybe they have the same toys in Russia" Robin said to the group. "Indiana flyer? I don't think so" Steve said. "The code didn't come from Russia" Dustin said. "It came from here" I finished his sentence causing him to nod.