The game

The girls got out of the car after driving for about 20 minutes to school. They laughed as the shut their doors after someone had sparked a conversation about last year. Chrissy was telling Izzy about the amazing sex she had with a it at summer camp.

The girls walked to the back door to the school where they were supposed to. Chrissy saw a familiar face watching the girls go to the door and tapped Izzy while she was in the middle of speaking. "Who's that?" Chrissy said pointing behind Izzy. Izzy turned around quickly to be met with Steve's very familiar face.

She shoved Chrissy's hand down back to her side and looked back to him and a new girl. A blonde. Pretty. She looked dumb.

The girl was dressed in baggy blue jeans and a slutty green top. Her hair was teased and she had on purple ish pink eyeshadow. Steve had in baggy jeans and a sweatshirt. Izzy looked from the girl and back to Steve. She smiled and gave him a wave. He gave one back before Izzy turned back around facing forward toward the door.

"So are you gonna talk about that?" Chrissy said to her friend who's fake smile had now dropped. "Talk about what?" Izzy said though a grouchy voice. "Nothing" Chrissy said through a smile at her best friends care for her ex.

The girls finally made it to the locker room where Nessa gave a quick "pep talk" and the girls walked out to a cheering crowd. Fake smiles were plastered on all of their faces as they waved their pom poms in the arm for people that didn't care for them just their bodies.

                                  ✎

Steve pushed the driver side door out and sighed at the fact he was here alone with Brenda. Once he saw two cheerleaders walking toward the school he knew it was her.

She laughed and it sounded like angels. Her skirt bounced as she walked and so did her ponytail she always hated putting on.

He stared at the two girls with his door still open till he saw them both look toward him. He watched as Izzy took her friends pointed arm down back to her side and Izzy watched him. He turned to the girl he had brought with him.

She took his hand but he didn't hold it back. He looked back to Izzy who then waved toward him. He waved back with his free hand praying she didn't see what was occupying his other.

The girls walked into the school and Steve stood watching for a second.

Steve and Brenda started to walk to the front of the school. "Who was that?" Brenda said in the most annoyingly high pitched voice ever. "My friend" he said.

The rest of the walk left an awkward silence until the two of them walked into the school and up the bleachers. "Wouldn't it be crazy if we won a championship the year after you graduated" Steve rolled his eyes waiting for the cheerleaders to come out. "Yep, that would be crazy" Steve said waiting for the annoying girl to shut up.

He sat waiting for the cheerleaders to come out and once they did the crowd cheered.

Steve stayed silent but his eyes wondered around looking for Izzy. They all moved around too much for one to be seen over the rest. Steve's eyes went up as Izzy went up in the air.

She stood the same way she did at the pep rally. Smiling and waving her hands in the air. She chanted something about the tigers as her skirt twisted around her body. She went in the air and did a spin landing gracefully in the boys arms. Steve watched the rest of the routine never taking his eyes off of her.

Boys stared at the girls as they waved around like Barbie dolls. Girls watched their boyfriends at the cheer team they were rejected from. The cheerleaders smiled and danced for the same people that would have been in the same position as them if they were just a little skinnier, prettier, perkier, dumber, blonder, faker.

Izzy looked around the bleachers for her ex and once she found him she looked away. She didn't care about him. She cared about her boyfriend who couldn't care any less about her.

She got up in the air and waved her hands around. "T I G E R S. Tigers, yeah, we are the tigers". The girls all chanted the cheer a few times getting louder each time. Izzy looked quickly to Steve only to see if he was watching. She flew in the air with her hands by her side. She knew the boys would catch her but deep down she was scared they wouldn't.

Once they did Izzy walked over to the rest of the girls and tossed Chrissy up in the air as the song they danced to finished. "Go tigers" she said with a fake smile and Pom Poms in the air.

She sat next to Chrissy as they talked like they hadn't talked in ages.

Lucas waved at Izzy when the boys had finally came out. Izzy waved back and Lucas looked up to the to the bleachers. He looked for Max with a hopeful look on his face only for it to soon be replaced with disappointment.

Izzy watched Lucas's face drop and looked toward the bleachers for a quick second. After finding no trace of Max or his friends Izzy looked back to him.

"Your gonna be amazing" she mouthed to him and gave a thumbs up. He slightly smiled and gave one back before the game quickly started.