The fourth of July

I saw her see him. She was scared. I saw her scared. I couldn't let her get hurt. She was too close. I thought about screaming to her but she wouldn't hear me over the fireworks. And the things screams. My thought ran faster than I could. I dropped my firework and ran to her. Steve grabbed my arm but I shook him off and started to run faster.

I ran down the stairs skipped a lot of them. I ran past the thing and ran straight to her. I grabbed her arm and pulled her to the stairs to go to the second floor. She wouldn't move.

Mike started to push her but she still wouldn't budge. I started to push her back instead and then she moved but she never took her eyes off of Billy. "Keep her here, do not let her move Mike" I said to him. He nodded before speaking. "Help her" he yelled to me looking at El. I saw her. No more fireworks. Just her and the thing.

I started to run to her but Billy stopped me. He started to choke me. I remember this. Back then I had stabbed him but I couldn't do anything anymore. I grabbed his arm and started to speak as loud as possible since the lack of air. "Billy, it's me, it's Izzy. You used to call me Iz when we dated. You loved me. I loved you. I love you. I don't want you to do this. Please Billy. Listen to me" I said crying.

I felt his grip loosen. He let go of me and started to walk toward El. No. No this isn't what I wanted. He walked past her. What? He stood informer of the thing and held it back with his hands. No. No what is he doing. No. No. No.

It grabbed his stomach as he screamed. Blood running out of his mouth until finally it stopped. He stopped. He fell to the ground and Max screamed. "Billy" she screamed at the top of her lungs. I looked over to her but then everything stopped. Time stopped. I felt like time had slowed. I watched as the thing fell. As it fell the ground shook. Dirt flew up and it's arm landed in front of me causing me to fall back.

I felt a sharp pain go through my leg. I couldn't move. As the loud noise came along with the explosion and dust of the creature hitting the ground my body flew. I heard nothing, saw nothing, felt nothing. Until I felt everything. I felt the pole that had gone threw my leg causing it to break. I felt the wet spots of blood all over my face and body. I felt the vomit from the elevator still in my throat. I felt the spit and blood coming up and out of my throat. I felt my eyes roll back into my head. I felt my heart stop beating.

                                 ✎

I saw my dad. He was waiting for me. I was dead. I'm dead. I hugged my dad as hard as I could. I felt how warm he was and how much I had missed him. A whole in my heart was filled the second I hugged him. I felt him get close to my ear then he whispered to me. "I miss you, baby" he said to me. "I missed you too dad" I said back to him.

I pulled away from him and just stared before he spoke again. "I'm gonna miss you, baby" he said. I looked at him in confusion and spoke. "I'm right here" I said crying. "It's not your time, baby. I'll be right here when you come back" he said smiling. Suddenly I felt a jolt of energy go through my body. I woke up and started to cough up everything. Blood, vomit, spit, water, anything I had to drink in the past month.

I woke up to my mom, Dustin, and Steve all around me. I hugged Dustin and then my mom. I turned to Steve but he was gone. I had to go to the hospital where I was immediately put into surgery. Afterward I was in a clinic for recovery. I started to retrain my leg to walk. Steve visited me for the 3 months I was in the clinic. We started to date.

This was the moment I had been waiting for. He had visited me after my first two days and brought me flowers and chocolate. It was like Valentine's Day that I had never celebrated. I asked me then and there. I said yes and he visited me everyday since then. I start school in 4 months. I was excited. Steve wasn't excited for me. He graduated this year. He has a job interview for the video store in four days. I still can't walk that well but it's getting better.