Fireworks?

I was interrupted by the cars slow stop and Steve opening his car door and complaining. I got out on his side of the car and he helped me out. "Do you think they're okay?" I asked Steve looking toward the mall. "I'm positive, they're probably already gone over to Pensylvania or wherever they're going" he said. I laughed and he smiled.

We had been walking for a little bit while Dustin went on about Suzie and this machine he invented. "Illinois" I said turning my head to Steve. He looked at me in confusion. "They're in Illinois" I said. "Oh, where do you wanna move when this is all over" he asked me. "I wanna go to Columbia for college so New York, but after college, anywhere, anywhere but here" I said.

I looked over to him already staring at me. "What about you?" I said smiling at his smile.

"I want a family. I big one. And I want to live in the country. But your right, anywhere but here would be perfect" he said laughing while I did the same. "Where did you live? Before here" he asked me. "Wisconsin" I said before adding on to it. "My mom still lives there in the old trailer we used to live in". "Why didn't you stay with her" he asked me. "She's in prison, for the murder of my brother, John" I said with almost mot emotion.

I thought everyone had known about what happened but I guess not. He looked at me with a concerned face then faced forward. I know that I made the moment awkward and he probably thinks I'm a heartless piece of shit. "I care. I miss him. There's just nothing I can do. I want to kill her. I want her to hurt the way I have for nine years, but I can't. So what's the point" I said causing him to look back at me.

He opened his mouth to say something but before he could Dustin spoke. "Here we are, the greatest thing I've ever invented" he said with his usual toothy smile.

We all sat down and copied with everyone except for " Griswold family" as Dustin called them. Before we could copy we saw the mall. Lights flashed from where it was and me and Steve looked at each other with fear in both of our eyes.

I didn't say anything just got up and started to walk to the car. Robin followed me as she spoke panicked. "Izzy? I'm going with you. Are we actually going? Izzy hold on" I turned to her and saw Steve beside her. He tossed me the keys and walked to the car. "Let's go" he said while still walking. I looked at Robin and shrugged my shoulders. She groaned and started to walk with me to the car. "Izzy" I heard Dustin say from what felt like close. I turned to be met with him hugging me. "Please be safe".

I put my hands through his hard and hugged him back. "I'm always safe" I said smiling to him as he pulled away.

                                  ✎

Steve drove for what felt like hours of speeding down whindy roads. Finally, he got to mall. We saw the car that Nancy's mom had just bought. It was big. Big enough to carry at least 8 people. They hadn't left. Why had they not left. I heard gun shots. Why the fuck does Nancy have a gun? I ask myself this question way too much.

I saw his car. Billy. He's here. Why is he here. Nancy's shooting him. Why is Nancy shooting at him. We saw his car barreling toward Nancy and hers. That was when Steve smashed the gas pedal hard enough to make a loud squeaking noise. Then the sound of metal clashing together and rubber tires burning.

We crashed into Billy's car and heard Nancy scream to us. "Come on" she said getting into her car. "Get in the back" I said to Steve and Robin as we all got out of the car. I knew where to go because Nancy had driven me to work a couple times. We go to the movies together a lot. Me and her are really good friends. We ride in the car a lot. Blasting Tina Turner, Lionel Richie, and Whitney Houston.

We all got in the trunk of the car as Nancy sped away. I looked around the car once we had left the mall parking lot and didn't see Max. It was the least of our problems and I'm sure she's fine. She's smart. She can keep herself safe. I'm sure of it.

I watched as the fleshy thing followed us as Steve asked questions about it. It stopped walking. It's turning around.

"Guys, it's turning around" I said to them. "What? What do you mean?" Jonathan asked me. "It's turning around" I said louder. Before I could finish my sentence Jonathan was turning the car around as fast as possible. What the fuck is going on.

We followed the thing all the was back to the mall. We had barely even stopped the car before everyone got out and got something out of the trunk. "Fireworks?" I asked Lucas and Will as they both ran into the mall as fast as possible with a box of forth of July fireworks in each of their arms. "Protection" Will said to me. "Yeah, they're like super powerful. They make the celebration fireworks look like firecrackers" Lucas followed up with as we all entered the mall and ran up the stairs.

It was there. We staying hidden so it didn't see us until we heard another door open. I staying hidden but scooted up to the railing of the second floor. Billy.

He held El in his arms and set her down on the floor. She screamed as the thing came up to her. Lucas said something and everyone got up from the floor and started to throw fireworks at the thing. I could barely stand up. Why was he here. He needs to leave. We need to get that thing out of him and he needs to go.

I threw a firework and the thing started to throw it's arm like body around breaking things. That's when I saw her. Max.