Chapter 2

"Is the new Ravenclaw seventh year here? She's wanted outside the common room!"

Rosie resisted every part of her body screaming to call out that she isn't the new seventh year, her name is Primrose but no one can ever call her that and she must be addressed as Rosie.

But instead, she smiled.

"That's me."

"Professor Weasley is looking for you outside."

Ah. The one from the Sorting Ceremony. She had introduced herself briefly on the walk back to the common room, but truthfully she hadn't paid much attention.

"Ah, good morning, Miss Callahan. I trust you slept well?" Professor Weasley greeted her with a warm smile as she approached.

"Good morning, Professor. Yes, I did," Rosie replied, returning the smile. Though she did, in fact, not sleep well.

"Wonderful. I'm here to take you to your first class of the day, you'll be paired up with a peer for the rest of the day from there. I hope that plan works for you?"

"That sounds great, Professor," Rosie said, trying to suppress the flutter of nerves in her stomach.

She wasn't here to make friends so being partnered with someone had her gut twisting in knots. She couldn't afford to form any bonds. She didn't belong with them.

Professor Weasley led Rosie through the labyrinth of corridors, the ancient stones echoing with the footsteps of students scurrying to their first classes of the day. As they walked, Professor Weasley filled the air with light chatter, discussing the ins and outs of the castle and the magical staircases.

Rosie feigned interest, like she hadn't actually been to the castle before. She wasn't allowed to blow her cover. At all.

"And here we are. Defence Against the Dark Arts." Professor Weasley said, a gentle hand waving towards the door. "Professor Hecat will handle the rest from here."

Rosie nodded and stepped into the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. The room was filled with eager and students, and Professor Hecat descended the stairs to stand at the front and settle everyone into their first class of the year.

"Ah, you must be Miss Callahan," Professor Hecat said, taking slow steps towards her. "Welcome. Please take a seat and we will begin, I'm certain you'll be up to speed in no time."

Rosie quickly scanned the room and spotted only one empty table. Apparently everyone had sat down quickly in the two seconds it took her to greet the damn teacher, taking all the spots she'd eyed off before.

So she hurried to a desk at the back and sat on the end before someone snagged that one from her too.

Slowly, Rosie laid out her text book, her quill, ink and parchment and began to scan over the classwork when a thump beside her had her nearly jumping off the seat.

"Sorry. Last seat left, hope you don't mind."

Rosie threw them a soft smile, not paying them much attention. She didn't need to make friends here. She was convinced she'd be done with her task by the end of the week and back in the present for Sunday dinner.

"Very lucky. You were almost late." Hecat called from the front. "Take a seat."

Some of the class snickered, but Rosie just continued to read.

"Sorry to bother you again. Do you have a spare quill?"

Rosie sighed and stuck her hand into her bag, locating her least favourite one, "Don't you own any?"