Chapter 44

CW: major character death, a little bit graphic with the Inferi descriptions. Please take care ☺️

"Ominis!" Rosie called out, sprinting down half dressed and still doing up her tie with her robe dangling off her shoulders, to find him in the Great Hall with Tadgh enjoying a peaceful breakfast without her or Sebastian to annoy them.

Until that moment.

"Merlin, Rosie, good morning to you too, honestly, why must the two of you be so–"

"He's not here."

"What?"

"Sebastian. He's not here."

Ominis sat for a moment but decided to appease Rosie, judging from the fear laced in her voice.

He excused himself from Tadgh, promising they'd catch up later before following Rosie quickly out of the hall.

"What's going on? Where's Sebastian?" Ominis said quickly, wanting to get to the bottom of it all and return to his breakfast.

"Feldcroft catacombs."

Ominis went quiet, silent even.

"I think... I think we need to go there, Ominis. I think he's going to do something stupid. He's panicking about Solomon taking Anne away." Rosie said, her voice starting to quiver.

"Okay... okay. I'll go with you. You can explain on the way." Ominis said.

"Thank you."

Rosie did mean it, she was eternally grateful Ominis agreed to go with her. They walked quickly to the nearest floo flame, Rosie leading Ominis through and taking them directly to right outside the catacombs.

"Oh, thank Merlin, you're here!"

The green ash and smoke cleared to let Rosie see the panic stricken face of Anne staring at the both of them, looking as awful as ever.

She ran to them and pulled them both into a hug and Rosie quickly realised that Anne was shaking.

"What's going on?" Ominis asked, really confused by now by both Rosie and Anne's abrupt behaviour.

"It's Sebastian," Anne explained, "He sent me a very strange letter to meet him here but I haven't seen him. I'm worried he's been hurt, I can hear these strange noises coming from inside."

Rosie sighed, debating whether to tell the two of them everything she knew, but ultimately, she knew she'd have to go in there, with or without Ominis and Anne, and that telling the complete truth was probably the right thing to do.

"That spellbook, Ominis... he found something in those catacombs at Christmas, a relic. He thinks it could help Anne and he's been holding onto it since. He didn't tell me, but I think that's what he's doing right now."

"So, he is in trouble?" Anne asked.

But Ominis didn't share the same sentiments, "He continued with that spellbook?! I thought after your break-up he was never going to touch it again! And here he is with some relic, putting us all in danger?"

"Ominis, you can go," Rosie said, feeling quite annoyed, "but I'm not going to stand here and debate it with you when he is in trouble. He needs help, we can chastise him, and me, later. Okay? I'm going in there."

Rosie started to take large strides towards the open catacomb entrance, fallen leaves crunching under her boots when Anne snapped her hand over Rosie's arm, forcing her back.

"Wait, I'll come with you. He wants me there, we should go together. Omi, are you coming?"

Ominis looked to be in battle with his thoughts, fists clenching tightly by his sides so hard Rosie thought he may draw blood in his palm when he let go and sighed, "Fine. I'll go."