Chapter 49

The week following the decision Sebastian and Rosie made to travel to the future together was filled with tears, anxiety and second-thoughts, mostly from Sebastian.

He'd continued to send Anne letters, begging and almost praying for her to write him back so he could tell her what he was doing, but while they were getting delivered, they weren't being reciprocated.

Sebastian found himself wondering if he'd even made the correct decision, if he was ruining his last chance to repair things with Anne. But ultimately, he figured that if it didn't work out, or he didn't like it, he could always come back. Though, that was at the risk of hurting Rosie, and he knew he'd have to leave her there.

His head was a mess.

But their N.E.W.T results came through the day of their graduation, Sebastian scoring well, thankfully getting an E in Arithmancy, which wasn't going to squander his hopes of becoming a curse-breaker, though he wasn't even sure how that was going to work taking scores from 1894 into the future.

And to Rosie's surprise, she managed to score an E in Herbology that had Sebastian grinning widely like a child who was just told they could have ice-cream.

"An E, huh? Who needed Tadgh? I believe you promised me a little reward if I got you at least a P. And I far surpassed that, didn't I?" Sebastian hummed in her ear as he peered over her shoulder reading her results.

Sebastian beamed as he looked over at the rest of her results, pleased that everything that went on that year didn't deter her.

Primrose Eleanora Callahan:

Herbology - E
Potions - O
Defence Against the Dark Arts - O
Arithmancy - E
Charms - P
Transfiguration - E

"Good job, love." Sebastian whispered in her ear, pressing a gentle kiss to it.

Rosie spun around and tucked her paper into her pocket, snatching Sebastian's out of his hand."

He tried to protest, but Rosie was quick.

Her eyes scanned the paper and she looked up at him, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Why did you want to hide this?"

"I don't," Sebastian said, scratching his head, "I just could have done better."

Rosie bit back a loud laugh, shaking her head in shock.

Sebastian Bartholomew Sallow:

Potions - E
Defence Against the Dark Arts - O
Arithmancy - O
Ancient Runes - O
Charms - E
Transfiguration - E

"This is great!" Rosie said with a grin, handing him back the paper, "How could you do better? There's not one A!"

"Yeah, but... I needed O in everything." He murmured.

"What? You're kidding?"

"That's... that's what he wanted me to do. I tried, but as always, I could never meet his expectations."

Rosie sighed and stepped onto the tips of her toes, wrapping an arm around Sebastian's shoulder. "Seb, what was the only subject that mattered?"

"Arithmancy..."

"And what did you get?"

"An O..."

"Good. So you did what you needed." Rosie said with a smile, "And you definitely exceeded my expectations and managed to get E's and O's in everything else. That's a great result, Sebastian. Especially given what's gone on this year. You should be proud, because I am. You beat me, the Ravenclaw, for Merlin's sake."