1918-1921

1918- Alaska

The excitement that I felt as I stood by the door with the Denali's, awaiting the arrival of my new brother was unparalleled to anything I'd ever felt before. I couldn't stand still all day, ever since I'd received word from Tanya that Carlisle would be coming with the new vampire, I'd been having to do something all the time to keep myself from jumping up and down in excitement. I'd deeply annoyed my house mates with my constant movement. I couldn't help myself.

I finally heard quiet footsteps approaching the door and I opened it, permitting the two vampires to enter before they even had the chance to knock. The second I saw Carlisle, I enveloped him in a bear hug, happy to finally see my father-figure again after so long, I'd been here for months now, my only correspondence from Carlisle being through Tanya and that hadn't happened often due to the girl's distaste of the job.

When I finally pulled away from the man, I turned my attention to the boy behind him, he was standing timidly in the entryway, watching the events unfolding around him. He looked up at me when he felt my eyes on him, he was clearly unsure of how to act around me. "What's your name?" I ask, my tone light instead of demanding.

"Edward," he mutters, his eyes now on the floor, I pretend to be unable to hear him.

"Edmund?" I ask, he looks up at me, hearing the playfulness in my voice, a grin spreads across his face.

"No, Edward." He replies, his voice at an actual volume this time, I could hear that he had gain some confidence.

"Ah, good to meet you, Edwin." I tell him, reaching my hand out and pulling my new brother into me, wrapping my arms tightly around his slight frame. I felt him tense for a moment before he relaxed and hugged me back, I could feel the relief rolling off him in waves mixed with happiness. That made me smile.

I'd been waiting centuries for a brother...

1921- Ashland, Wisconsin

"No, moron, Henry VIII didn't actually care about the church, he simply wanted a male heir and his wife couldn't have any children so he wanted a divorce, I would know, I worked in the man's fucking palace. I heard everything." I told Edward, we'd been arguing about why Henry VIII had gotten Thomas Cromwell to get Parliament to pass the Act of Supremacy in order to break from the church so he could divorce his wife and marry Anne Boleyn.

Edward was quickly learning that some of the things he'd learned in history class was incorrect. I'd fucking lived history and this kid had the audacity to argue with me about this. I've been alive for six centuries and this boy thought he knew more than me, the dumbass.

"Oh, but why did he need a male heir so badly?" he asks, confused.

"He was scared the other nobles that had more claim to the throne than he would swoop in and take the throne from him. He wanted to keep his power, and he killed multiple good friends and innocent people in the process, he fell so far from grace..." I shook my head at the corruption of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.

"So why didn't you just become queen and rule for them?" he asks, I shake my head at him with a smile.

"They had laws against women ruling. Plus, at the time, the church had more power than the state. And us vampires need to stay out of mortal spotlight if we wish to remain a secret. People would've questioned why I still looked like I was seventeen after ruling for thirty years." I tell him, leaning over and laying with my head in his lap, we've gotten comfortable with each other over the last four years since Carlisle had changed him. Speaking of Carlisle, he was supposed to be home an hour ago, where was he?

"Yeah, where is he?" Edward asks, reading my thoughts. I sit back up and we both quickly go for our coats, just at we make it to the door of our townhouse, the door swings open and bangs against the wall, Carlisle comes in, carrying a woman in his arms, I recognized her smell, it was Carlisle's mate.

"What the hell happened?" I ask him as shove everything on the kitchen table off and make a space for him to place the small woman on. He does so quickly but ever so gently.

"She tried to kill herself, miscarriage, apparently. They thought she was dead, I snuck her out, she's still alive." He explains quickly, he looks up at me as if asking me what to do.

"Well, turn her!" I yell at him, grabbing Edward's arm and pulling him out of the house into the backyard to get him away from the smell of blood, I could see his control slipping. Just before I got him fully out of the house, he lost control, he tried to get away from me and go back to the woman, I pulled him quickly to me and wrapped my arms tightly around him, placing my arm in front of his nose, he breathed in my scent and relaxed enough to allow me to drag him out the back door. I didn't let go of him as we sat down on the back step, keeping him in my arms as I hummed an old song from when I was a child. We sat like that for two hours, allowing Carlisle to clean up the house and make sure the woman has either died or will turn.

There was another member that night...