Chapter |25| Kennedy

Today is not a good day.

Or at least, it hasn't been since I woke up with a lump in my chest and flutter in my stomach just thinking about heading back to Texas.

Spending thanksgiving with Keila's family is something I look forward every year. But this one, without mom and what happened with Will, I'm not in the best mood to celebrate.

I'm not feeling myself at all. God, I don't even now if I have something to be thankful for, besides my friends and brother.

Fear.

That's the only emotion running through my body since we got in the car. I'm so damn scared of returning to my hometown, where I lived all my life and made some of the best memories. But ironically, the bad ones that torment me are the ones who are vivid in my head.

Reed's thumbs caressed my tight during the entire five hours of road trip, in the most concealed way possible since my brother is in the car with us, providing comfort.

As if he knew something unsettles me.

I'm thankful for him being here, and I smiled at him to cosplay my emotions.

But for the rest of the trip, I didn't look at his eyes. I simply looked out of the window and tuned out the conversation, rather discussion, my brother and Keila were having in the front of the car.

I don't want to need Reed as my anchor, the person who makes my life not so miserable by his mere presence.

Hi doesn't deserve that. I cannot bother him with my problems.

I have to find balance in my life without having to depend on him.

I have to learn to control and calm myself on my own without feeling the need to run into his arms.

I should let him go before I get attached. But I think I already am, that's why I can't stay away.

Reed nudges me on the shoulder.

I get out of my head, turn to him and look out of the window noticing we already arrived at Keila's house.

I open de door, get out of the car. Reec following behind.

I take my bag out of Jax's trunk, but Reed takes it from my hands.

— "Give me this".

I smile a little in thanks, but he doesn't return the gesture. On the contrary, he looks at me worried.

Just what I don't want. For him to worry about me.

— "I'm fine" I lie as convincingly as possible before he asks if I'm okay.

Because that simply and hateful question coming from him, in that soft tone in which he addresses me, and with those green eyes that I love so much, is going to make me start crying.

Another thing I don't want him to witness again.

— "I'm just hungry" I fake a laugh "We all know how I get when I don't eat".

— "Mom cooked so many things. There's going to be plenty of it, Kenny" Keila appears by mi side, hugging by the shoulder as we walk to her house. "She also made that cheesecake you like, and I reminded her to buy pistachio ice cream".

— "You're the best" I admit, grateful for the existence of my best friend and that she manages to get me out of all the shit running though my head.

— "I know. People have to stop telling me that because it really boosts my ego, and I don't think that's healthy."