Chapter |32| Kennedy

Three and a half months later (mid-end of Apri):

I'm late to take my first final exam.

Great.

I get out of bed quickly, grab some jeans and hoodie and get dressed.

I don't have time to spend half an hour putting makeup and trying to improve my appearance, so I just brush my teeth, take my pills, and put on a little perfume.

I step out of the bathroom. Keila's getting dressed, while Brooke on the other hand is peacefully sleeping in her bed.

I would like to be the latter. More so because I'm positive I'm not going to pass this final.

I sight nervously, anxiety running through my body.

— "I was thinking we could go for coffee tomorrow afternoon?" Keila whispers so as not to wake up our friend.

— "Of course. I don't have to do anything. I...is everything alright?" I ask for the hundredth time this week.

Keila stays silent for a moment.

— "Yeah, everything's okay" she avoids looking at my eyes.

I know my friend, more than anyone, and right now I know she's lying.

And I'm worried about her.

These last few months Keila's been not like her usual self. She does not laugh or joke anymore, doesn't want to go partying or drink, barely eats and lost a lot of weight, spends all day on the gym or at class.

She's also been avoiding hanging out the six of us all together.

But I don't know what to say or do to help her. Every time I ask if she's okay she shuts me out or goes all pissy mood and avoids me.

— "Uh, okay..." I smile awkwardly at her. "Well, I'm dinning with Reed tonight. Do you want to join us? You're more than welcome to. He doesn't mind at all".

Or he will not when I tell him my friend clearly needs me right now, even though she won't ask for help.

— "I can't. I'm going out with Greyson" her comment lacks enthusiasm, as always.

Keila's been seeing this guy she met at the gym. She told me he asked her out and she thought 'why not'. So they've been hooking up like an official couple, all day and night.

But I can't help but wonder if she really likes this guy, because every time I try to ask her about him, she just shrugs and doesn't know what to say. Or every time she tells me she's meeting up with him she lacks excitement.

Maybe I'm reading more than it is into it, but every time I'm seeing my guy I'm beyond exited.

Or maybe my intuition is correct this time and she's hooking up with him as a distraction from whatever happened with Jax. Which is a triggering topic.

Neither of us talks about it. Three months ago, when I asked her if things with my brother were okay, she just avoided my question. One month later she told me they were never a thing, but whatever it was clearly ended up. She didn't tell me why or how. Just begged me not to ask questions and just pretend it never happened. And that same month she was already dating Greyson.

Jax also ignored me every time I asked him about the matter. Not to be nosy, but because I care about them and want both of them to be happy and not hate each other.

So, I've been pretending they were never a thing and watching both of them going on with their lives. Jax sleeping with any woman that looks his way and drinking into oblivion, and Keila sad and miserable even with her partner.