A Darker Turn (PT 3)

"I smell something," Laxus whispered. "I think whatever attacked Mira is hiding nearby."

"You smell something?" Meredy asked, stifling a laugh.

"He's a dragon slayer, remember?" Ultear reminded her.

"I forgot," Meredy whispered. "I-"

The group froze.

"Is- t-that the monster?" Ultear gasped.

Erza nodded, "I believe so."

"What's that rock on its back?" Ultear gasped.

Suddenly an ear-splitting shriek filled the air, momentarily distracting them from the monster.

"It's Luce!" Natsu yelled, running towards them. "The monster is..back there..It attacked Lucy.."

"But, the monster is here!" Jellal said, pointing to the bronze lizard-like beast that was fast asleep.

Natsu eyes widened, "Two of them?"

Ultear and Meredy exchanged nervous looks.

"Anyway," he said panting. "The other group needs more people. We're no match for it.."

"I'll go," Laxus said gruffly. "I'm sure you four can handle this guy."

Jellal nodded, "Good luck."

Laxus gave him a thumbs up and ran after Natsu.

"What is it?" Meredy asked, walking around the beast.

"No clue," Erza said. "But we should kill it immediately while it's asleep."

"Yes," Ultear agreed.

"Requipt: Heavens Wheel Armor!" she whispered.

Several swords appeared in the air, surrounding the monster. There was a loud snort and the lizard opened its eyes.

"How convenient," Ultear muttered.

"Blumenblatt!" Erza yelled. The swords flew forward, piercing the beasts skin. Unfortunately, it looked unaffected.

Erza grumbled something inaudible and requipted into her Purgatory Armor.

"Heavenly Arrows!" Jellal commanded, hoping to injure the monster.

"It's not working!" Meredy complained. "The monster looks like a porcupine now!"

The monster lunged at an impossibly fast speed, scooping up the Time Mage.

"Ul!" Meredy yelled. Turning to the monster she spat, "I'm going to kill you, you disgusting beast! It was bad enough you interrupted our race!"

"Heavenly Body Magic: Sema!" Jellal yelled.

The monster shrieked and began to tighten its grip on Ultear. Instead of attacking, it pinned Jellal to the ground using one of its enormous claws.

"Jellal!" Erza cried. 

Jellal closed his eyes tight, groaning with pain.

"Maguility Rays!" Meredy commanded.

Erza lifted her sword and began slashing at the monster, not caring whether it was affecting it or not.

You will pay..

The beast growled and lifted its claw, allowing Jellal to move out of the way and run. With another snort, the monster grabbed Meredy by her hair, and raised her into the air.

"Requipt: Lightning Empress!" Erza yelled. "Lightning Beam!"

The beast shrieked in agony, loosening it's grip on Meredy and Ultear.

"It's made of rock," Jellal whispered in Erza's ear. "What is strong against rock?"

Erza thought for a moment, then requipted into her Sea Empress Armor. She held up her Crystal Sword and blasted water at the monster, trying her best not to spray the two mages that were desperately trying to get out of the beasts grip.

Ultear and Meredy managed to slide out of the monsters claws, and rejoined the group.

With one last growl, the monster began to fall apart, bronze rocks crashing to the ground. The rock on its back began to glow a bright red.

"It's going to hit us!" Ultear yelled.

"What?" Meredy asked.

"That huge..rock thing on its back!" Ultear said. "Its releasing all its energy!"

"Requipt: Admantine Armor!" Erza whispered.

"Erza! Get back here!" Jellal yelled. "What are you doing?"

She raised her arms up to her face, forming a huge spiky, metal shield.

"The magic is too powerful!" Meredy said. "Run!"

Erza stood there.

"Erza.." Jellal whispered, limping towards her.

"This monster hurt Mira Jane," Erza said.

The ball of magic energy began to approach Erza. Faster.

"I can do it," Erza whispered, not sure if she was reassuring her friends or herself.

The ball of glowing red energy smashed into her shield, and she strained to hold it back.
"I..can..do..it!" she panted. "Run!"

Meredy and Ultear grabbed Jellal by the collar and pulled him away.

"No!" he yelled.

The magic broke through her shield, hitting her directly in the chest.

Erza..

TO BE CONTINUED