12

•VERENA•

"Do it again." Ghost's gravelly voice sounds off next to me. I just ran a course that Keegan and Ghost designed. My best time was 7 minutes which was better than the average but it wasn't good enough for Keegan and Ghost. So I kept doing it and doing it and doing it until I started to see stars, my hands had blisters and I was bleeding somewhere. Even so, I pushed through pushing away any physical pain and finally getting a downtime of 6 minutes. Improved but they didn't show any pride. I coughed dry heaving and then panting like a dog while these two assholes watched. It didn't show in their faces but they were enjoying this.

After Theresa's funeral this morning, Manuel went into hiding. He said he needed some time to process everything. He needed a way to find out how to kill Rowan without completely pissing off everyone in the union. If I were him I wouldn't worry about the union I would kill Rowan no matter what. Manuel was usually a calm person he wanted to handle this quietly unlike Rowan.

Ghost lay down next to me spotting for me. He was making me shoot until it became natural. I don't know how long we have been here. I was also already good at shooting but Keegan said I needed work. "Good shot now, do it again." I groaned but did it again until he instructed me to change direction, North.

"You see that coyote," Keegan said to Ghost.

"Shoot it, Verena." Ghost said in his usual monotone.

"No." I shrugged unfazed by them.

"Shoot it or you'll run the course again until you can't walk for the rest of the week." Keegan snapped.

"I'll run the course again," I gently put the butt of the rifle down about to get up only for Ghost to grip my right hand.

"You will shoot that fucking coyote." He placed his arm over my shoulder to grab my left hand placing it back onto the rifle. I struggled but he was too strong. He placed his right index over mine, looming over the trigger. I swallowed. I could fight him in this position. "Look." He groaned in my ear. I shook my head.

"I can't." I didn't sound like myself and it made me a lot hotter than I felt. My voice came out breathy and weak. My skin was already hot thanks to the heat and humidity but now I felt like I was about to combust. He wasn't completely on me I could feel part of his chest against my back and the same feeling I had yesterday fluttered through me. I was conflicted once again and I internally hated what he did to me yet my body betrayed me, just like it did with Keegan and König. Santa Maria my grandmother would kill me.

"Yes, you can." His voice softened a bit, still enough to hear he was annoyed by me. He was always fucking annoyed. "Aim you know where it is." I held my breath finding the little thing. I furrowed my eyebrows and followed it. Only to see it had babies with it. I gasped. I tried pulling my hand out but Ghost already pulled the trigger.

"You fucking asshole!" I bellowed, trying to struggle out of his grip but he held me there.

"You need to wake the fuck up. This is the reality you already kill many what a fucking coyote." He let my hands go and pulled away from me. Keegan picked up the binoculars and confirmed that kill.

I stayed quiet after a moment. I controlled my breathing closing my eyes. I gathered my thoughts and feelings before I thought about shooting them. "It's not the same," I said calmly standing up with the rifle in my hand. "I said it before and I'll say it again. People ask for drugs. That animal was doing everything to survive." I picked up the rifle and aimed again. The pups were no more than a couple of weeks old. They will die. I called Denise instructing her to call animal control.

"You care about animals but could put drugs in the street for people to eventually die from." Keegan mocked. I lowered the rifle and turned to look at him. His face is expressionless. He leaned against a pole with his arms crossed over his chest. Wickedly handsome fucker.