60

•VERENA•

"Mommy." My eyes opened to Dahlia, holding her blanket to her body. Her eyes are red she has been crying. She has her mother's heart and her father's rage. Without a word, I grabbed her arm and pulled her into the bed with me. "I had a nightmare."

"What was it this time?" I said trying to sound somewhat normal. She was four now and smarter than she needs to be. People called her the smart baby because by two she was talking in full sentences. She snuggled into me and I tried my best to give her whatever warmth I could give her.

"I dreamed about Daddy not coming back." I mentally whined at that. Looking at the time I only slept for two hours because I was also worried about the same thing. In my state that wasn't good and even though Keegan has been doing a good job at distracting me I admittedly get so emotional. I was home care comfortable with two out of three men that I loved. While one was who knows where fighting for me for us now.

"What did he promise you?" I whispered, trying not to fall asleep as I spoke. God, I don't remember the last time I was this tired.

"That he will always come back for us." She turned around to face me. "I am still worried mami."

"I know and that's okay sometimes you can't help the emotions you are feeling but how you express them and I'm happy you did but always remember Daddy always keeps his promises," I whispered, there was no doubt after all this time with them that they will always come back to me. To us.

"You haven't been sleeping good." God, why is she so smart? "You took a nap with me and you didn't wake up when the alarm went off."

"I know baby I'm just really tired. I'm sorry." I woke up and she had her blanket on me and waited until I woke up.

"It's okay Mami." She wrapped her little arms around my neck being gentled.

"Daddy." She whispered. Darian was definitely awake but he snored loudly which made Dahlia giggle. "Daddy!" She pushed his shoulders and he shook awake looking around petrified. Dahlia laughed so hard she fell back into the space between us.

He laughed and grabbed her kissing her forehead. "Why are you waking me up, child."

"I missed you." His eyes softened and he hugged her before lying back down. She lay on his chest.

"That dad bob is coming in nicely." I lied. He was still ripped and stupid fit but I love to tease him because a couple of weeks ago he stopped working out and started eating really bad out of stress. After they stopped fighting I started to call him out on his new eating habits and to this day he was very insecure about it. They've become really close and they really trust each other that's why Simon was okay with leaving.

He narrowed his eyes at me and put up a finger to warn me silently, I should bite it. But Dahlia.

Dahlia fell back to sleep and I got comfortable again. "Is it true?" He whispered after making sure she was asleep.

"What?"

"You haven't been sleeping." Putting Dahlia on the mattress he reached out to cup my cheek. "I haven't noticed." He furrowed his eyebrows and studied silently.

"I sleep all the time," I said trying to ease up. He slid his hand down to my neck. "Don't lie to me."

I placed my hand over his and rubbed his knuckles. "I'm okay."