14

•MATEO•

            Something was bothering my sister.

I always knew her to be pretty level-headed. She always had to be to keep us alive but today she seemed. . . off. We were having breakfast and she couldn't look the waiter in the eyes. I've seen this woman stare down the Mexican president and several American congressmen/women (including other powerful people all around the world) but right now she flinched when people brushed against her. Did something happen yesterday? Did someone touch her?

The thought made me nervous who couldn't possibly get close enough to make her flinch. With Keegan, König, and Ghost keeping close to her almost 25/8. She didn't look scared her eyes brows pinched, her button lip tucked between her teeth as she was deep in thought. She was always good at hiding how she felt. However, when she was with me she usually smiled a genuine smile and she attentively listened to every little thing I told her. She was like that with everyone paying attention to the slightest detail but today she stared off into the distance. Kinda reminds me of how she was after our mother died. She was so lost at times, though she never showed it to me I would catch her alone crying only wearing that mask to protect me.

"Are you alright?" I finally asked, even though I knew exactly what she was going to say.

"I'm fine." Her expression warmed when she came back to me like she didn't realize she was in her trances of thoughts. "I'm sorry."

"Please talk to me?" I said. I never ask her for much, especially this because I know this was her way of protecting me. Reaching over the table I took her hand into mine. I know my sister and this wasn't her.

"I-" She blinked and then looked away turning to look out the window. "I can't."

"Verena." I squeezed her hand. She turned to look at me and I hoped that she would see that I was pleading. She shook her head and took her hand back. She stood up placed the napkin that was on her lap on the table and walked away. Her arms crossed over her chest. She didn't get dressed up in her usual style. She was wearing sweatpants and a hoodie. What was going on?

         Later that morning she cancels all of our plans. Which didn't bother me since we were just going to do more shopping and sightseeing. Instead, she invited me to watch Disney movies in her room. When I stepped out onto the hall Keegan was standing at her door. He turns to glance at me, his hard face emotionless. I imagine they all look like this most of the time. "I knocked." He said assuming I was going to do the same. Verena opened the door. I guessed she didn't look through the peephole because she looked kinda surprised at Keegan.

"Why are you ready?" He asked looking at her clothes and then back at her. His eyes softened when he looked at her for a mere second only to harden again at her next words.

"Did you not check your phone." She said with the same amount of vigor in her voice. There's Verena. Keegan could eat her but she talked to him like he was a dog.

"You sent that message 10 minutes before we were supposed to head out the door." He gritted. "I got ready just for you to cancel last minute." His jaw clenched.

"10 minutes isn't last minute regardless you get paid." She grabbed my arm and pulled me inside. I held in a laugh as she slammed the door close behind me. "I don't know why they insist on arguing with me."

"They like you, Verena." She frowned at that. Anyone could see that. I suspected it the first time I saw them around her. They would sneak glances at her when others weren't looking. I know for a fact that they argue with her just to see if they could piss her off and so far they haven't seen shit. Verena pissed off was the devil. If she couldn't hurt you physically she would damage your reputation. I have seen her do it. She had dirt on a lot of celebrities and politicians around the world just to keep them in check. Nobody was safe except me. Haha.