32

•VERENA•

             I lay on the floor hardwood, surrounded by papers of summary/statements. I could pay someone to do this for me but I like to mentally keep track of everything. I have to know the baseline at the very least how well my business is going. I like to make sure numbers match product use. About a year ago someone tried stealing from me, I told Marcus to deal with it because Mateo got so sick. Marcus cut the man's arms off and sent them to his wife with a sign that read thief in Spanish. That wasn't what I meant and honestly, when I found out I was upset. I never voiced my concern because I knew exactly what he was going to say. "A woman like you needs to be ruthless."

I know he was right. For a while, he was my face. People thought he was the boss and I was either his slut or daughter. No one would have taken me seriously if it wasn't for him. Even now I feel like people wouldn't fear me if I didn't have three big foot on my side.

Keegan and Ghost both flew back to Sonora to take back what we lost, upon Marcus' demand. Ghost was still injured but said he'll manage just fine. They didn't leave without Marcus cursing them out he was still pissed about the injuries. He told them they better get Sonora in a day or die trying.

König sat on the couch adjacent to me, his eyebrows furrowed as he read a book about war. This was the most expression I've seen on his face in a while. I always wonder how he reacts to things only to know now he doesn't. He wears a mask without a mask all the time. When he hurt Ricardo yesterday there was nothing on his face. I know I could be like that as well but he doesn't even express rage. No wonder his skin was so flawless and wrinkle-free. He doesn't have emotions. When Theresa died he reassured me and it sounded like he cared. He helped alleviate me when I found out about Russo knowing Mate0. I briefly remember he seemed happy to see his family, his brother especially. He used to laugh with Mateo too. He was a master at code-switching.

Ghost at least grins like the devil is whispering in his ear and Keegan glowers back but König just nothing. "It's rude to stare."

Oh shit bitch you got caught. I signed and rolled over on my good arm. I sat up and turned to look at him. "Are you always so robotic?"

"Hypocrite." He muttered. He closes his book down on the small table next to the couch and looks at me. He had no business being so gorgeous.

I snorted.

•KÖNIG•

Before we went down to the residence to give food out to people Verena's new therapist showed up. Japanese guy that didn't speak English only spoke Spanish and Japanese. I didn't understand shit. Verena did everything he told her to do. Moving in positions that would stretch out a muscle she hasn't stretched out for a while. She would gasp and moan in approval and Aiden Sato would smile earnestly. I wonder if she knows how easy it is for me to get rid of a body. She has five dogs I could just feed him to them. Chop his body up and throw him in a den of pigs or acid. I'm thinking more like Ghost. The psychopath is rubbing off on me.

Aiden spoke to me in Spanish so I responded in German."Sprich nicht mit mir, kleine Scheiße," I said lightly.

When he left she got dressed in a floral black shirt and a floral bohemian crop top. She outshines her bandages and anyone around her.

She struggles to walk limping ever so slightly to avoid putting pressure on her thighs. Sometimes I don't really think about the muscle that I use just to walk until I've gotten shot, I could imagine the same for her.

People gathered around her like ants on a wasp as soon as she called out for free food. She beam as kids huddled around her calling her beautiful in Spanish. She was brilliant, breathtaking when she smiled and since she doesn't do it very often I brazenly stare when she does.