27

•GHOST•

I've noticed that when Verena is stressed she drowns herself in work. Or when she's mad, sad, or any uncomfortable emotion she doesn't want to have she works or drinks. Normally, I would deny it but I do the same. It was a distraction.

I woke up early today. I peeked into König room to see his head was still buried into the pillow. All I could see was his tatted back and blonde curls. I kept walking about to check on Keegan (who I doubted had any sleep) when Verena swung her door open. Already dressed in a black turtleneck and baggy pants. She didn't seem bothered yesterday when Keegan started to deny that baby. She kept quiet the whole time while König and I laughed. It was better than watching a soap opera. He was not having Jennifer shit. He asked for a paternity test and she cried dramatically and said it was dangerous. It wasn't she was just dramatic and clearly wanted to hide something before we saw anything else Verena quickly excused us. It was a family matter.

"I want to hunt today." She said. Her short arse broke her neck to look up at me. The last time we went hunting was about two months ago and Mateo was still alive.

"You sure." She shrugged, which meant she was going to go anyway. "Are you going to actually shoot the fucking animal, Verena?" I grumbled as she walked past me.

"Yes." She hissed. No, she wasn't. She needed something to pass the time. She was doing shit to clear her head which was fine but why this in the fucking cold too.

Keegan's dad, Jared let us use his guns. He was already up feeding his animals and when he walked into the kitchen he offered. I don't think he likes Verena much but he hides it well. Grace on the other hand offered her coffee and smiled warmly. Once she finished drinking it we headed out to the truck and we were off to towards the Valley. 

"I don't think Jared likes me." I was surprised she caught on.

"Yeah, I don't think so either." I agreed. "Probably has to do with the way Keegan drools over you."

"Well, he should stop especially if he is the father of Jennifer's baby." She said as if it was a nuisance for him to have feelings toward her and as much as I like that to be true I know it wasn't. She likes him it is evident in the way she looks at him or the way she listens to him so intently. I saw it the moment Jennifer looked at Keegan. It was subtle but I saw the hurt flash across her face.

"Whatever," I mutter. She stopped the truck and pulled the hand brake up. We hopped out of the truck and grabbed the guns. "The only thing in season is geese. We might find a moose." I said. I made sure with Jared maybe she'll be able to shoot one.

"Goose, moose?" She repeated jogging up to me. Her lips pressed together in disappointment. Then she shrugged. "It is what it is." She whispered.

               It started to snow again only 30min after getting here. I asked her if she wanted to leave but she rather suffer in this fucking cold then face Keegan I guess. I got a text from him and König that I chose to ignore after opening it and turning on my receipt. I grinned and stuffed my phone back in my pocket.

I'm gonna make König come out here next time cause fuck this. She pushed her hair off her face and picked up the binoculars before dropping to the ground. She pulled up the rifle leveling it on a broken log. I got down with her picking up my binoculars and checking distance.

A moose. A big arse moose. "You've got the distance there's no wind this will be a perfect shot if you shoot now," I said. She held her breath and her finger hovered over the trigger. She pulled her finger back and dropped the rifle. I'm starting to really get tired of this shit. "Verena." I groaned pulling her arm so she could face me.