46

•VERENA•

They didn't leave my side. I got dressed and when I walked back into my bathroom from my closet they were still there. I prayed they'd leave, but like all my prayers they were unanswered or unfulfilled. I stride my way to my bedroom.

"Verena." Simon blocked my way.

"God I can't take this. I just can't." I rasp. He wasn't making this easy. He never has before, but for once I wish he would.

"Sometimes I wish I didn't," Simon said, my heart ached. I tried not to show how much that hurt me. "I didn't choose to. I've never craved anyone or anything the way I crave you. I have never been sure of anything the same way I am sure that I love you, Verena."

I pushed past him and Keegan because they let me. If they wanted to they would've kept me in place. I hate that. I hate them.

"Just be honest and we'll leave," Darian said. "We'll go home." I held my breath. I was fully clothed right now but I've never felt so exposed.

"What do you think will happen to me when you three die?" I didn't turn around. I stood in front of my vanity and applied my makeup like it was another day. "My mother was raped and killed in front of me. My father was shot in front of me. Theresa died in my arms. Mateo died only feet away from me so you tell me what will happen when you three go to Las Almas! I don't have anyone anymore. For once in my miserable lonely life I'm trying to be selfless."

I finished with some gloss, then I opened the window the sirens and sounds of truck tires were heard from the distance. Just on time.

"What did you do?" I turned around to face Keegan.

"I'm tired Keegan. I just want it to stop." He grabbed my wrist and pushed me into Darian. His arm wrapped around my waist, secured. I still twisted and turned, though I knew I wouldn't be able to get out of his grip.

"Take her to the church." He said. "Simon-"

"Go with them," Simon said. "I'll deal with this. If I'm not there within an hour leave."

"Stop!" I begged trying to get out of Darian's grip. "Just let them take me."

"Like hell." Darian pulled me out of the bedroom. I struggled the whole time while he effortlessly dragged me. Keegan ran ahead.

"Darian, I'm not worth it please." He didn't listen. We made it to the back of the house where the guards were shooting over the wall. Keegan pulled around with the SUV. Darian opened the door.

"So fucking difficult," Darian grumbled shoving me into the car. I fell on my side. "This isn't just about you anymore." He reached into the backseat and pulled over a case. He opened it and started to assemble a gun. "We're as deep in this as you are."

"Make sure nobody follows us," Keegan said over the radio.

"You go down and I'm following you." I watched as he opened the window and started to shoot, two shots, two explosions. He turned to look at me. "It'll be for nothing. All this was for nothing because you're too stubborn. Do you know how many people will die because of you?"

As long as it isn't you or them I don't care.

Keegan stopped the car 5miles away from the church before we got off. Darian bound my wrist in a zip cuff and carried me the whole way to the church over his shoulder. Nobody cared as we walked past them, I made eye contact with many of them none of them even dare grabbed their phones. Couldn't blame them. I've never seen Darian or Keegan so pissed off. They were radiating death.