86

DAYS LATER

DAYS LATER

Jasmine

Aubrey and I had spent the last few days on autopilot. Our bodies reminded us to eat but our minds were too distracted to care for ourselves. Today we had an appointment with Dr. Clayton to determine how to proceed with my pregnancy. It was the only thing that could force us to leave our home.

We spent our morning together in almost silence. The feeling of loss was wedging itself between us. As we rode to Dr. Clayton's office, dread hung over me. Aubrey kept making phone calls throughout the ride. I couldn't tell you what he talked about. My mind was preoccupied with worry about what we would learn at this appointment.

"You ready?" Aubrey pulled me from my thoughts

I nodded before he exited the car and walked over to my side. He grabbed my hand and led me inside. We didn't wait long before Dr. Clayton called us back to her office.

"How are you?" She hugged me

"I've been better." I slightly smiled.

She nodded before turning to Aubrey. "And you Dad?"

"Hanging in there." He said

"Have a seat." She instructed

She handed us a folder containing the test results and sonogram from my hospital visit.

"So, as the hospital informed you, you have miscarried baby B. Because your twins are fraternal, Baby A has been undisturbed by Baby B's passing. Due to this, I believe that it would be best that you finish your pregnancy without removing Baby B." She explained

"He won't...decompose?" I asked lowly

Aubrey sat silently next to me but his body stiffened at my choice of words.

"He will...but because the twins have separate umbilical cords and placenta, Baby B's state will not disturb her as much." She explained

I nodded.

We finished our appointment with an ultrasound to check on our baby girl and hear her heartbeat. On the ultrasound screen we could still see glimpses of our son's body but the nurse tried her best to avoid showing him.

The ride home was quiet once again.

"Are you okay?" I asked him gently

He hesitated to answer. "Yeah I'm alright."

"Maybe I should go to the guesthouse for a couple days? Give you some space?" I suggested

I could see the weight that this pregnancy was putting on his shoulders. He was barely holding himself together.

"What are you talking about?" He drew his brows together

"I don't know. I just want you to feel better." I said lowly