Chapter 50

Red
Red stood there, stunned by all that just happened.

That was weird, she thought. Where did it- Arthur!

With that all thoughts about what happened fled as turned and hurried back to where Arthur lay, still unmoving.

"Arthur?" She asked, siting next to him. "Arthur? Arthur!" She gently shook him try to get him to awaken.

Unfortunately, he still didn't move an inch. In fact, nor did he breathe!

"No, no no. This can't be happening!" She cried as tears started to form. "Not you too! Especially not after I realized how I feel about you!"

First she lost her father, now she had lost the only man she had fallen in love with. Why was life so cruel?

Heartbroken, she put her face in her paws and cried.

"Why did you have to be such a big idiot!"

"Who are you calling an idiot?!"

Red's head immediately rose in surprise upon hearing that. Looking down, and Arthur sitting up and staring at her, an angry look on his face.

"You're alive?" She asked.

"Of course," he said. "Also, I am not an-"

He wasn't able to finish because Red suddenly pulled him into a hug.

"I'm so happy you are okay," she said, relieved.

"Can't breathe," he choked.

Red gasped and let go, not even realizing she was gripping him too tight. "I'm so sorry! It's just I thought you were dead." She immediately shifted back to human form (which wasn't that hard to do thank goodness!).

"You'd think..." he huffed. "That I'd die... by a clobber to the head? Come on, it'll take a lot more than that to kill me."

"Yeah well again, I am just happy you're alive," she said.

"Well that's too of us," he agreed. "Nice job with pushing that jerk to the ground. You are a pretty good fighter for a girl. Too bad that beast was the one to finish him off though."

"Thanks, I - wait," she said, realizing something. "You saw all that? How? You were unconscious."

"Oh, uh, I..." Arthur said.

"You were conscious the whole time weren't you?" she asked, raising an eyebrow in suspicion.

"No," he said awkwardly. "Well, yes, but I didn't regain big and ugly over there was about to kill you and Mr. big and even more ugly suddenly dropped from the sky and knocked him out!"

"If you were awake the whole time, why didn't you wake when I called to you?"

"Maybe I wanted to see you if you'd miss me if I was gone," he said, looking a little sly. "Hearing your words was not disappointing. Although, I was a bit when I saw you chase after the beast before that. Guess you finally found yourself a boyfriend now huh?"

Red was so mad she punched him in the arm.

"Ow," he said, clutching his bicep. "What was that for?"

"For tricking me," she replied. "Also, that guy is not my boyfriend."

"He isn't?" Arthur asked, looking surprised.

"Of course not."

"But you chased after him."

"Only because I wanted to thank him for saving me," she explained. "What do you think I am? Some brainless damsel who throws herself on the first guy who saves her from danger? Please!"