Interlude

"And she says that we weren't meant to be! Can you believe that uncle?"

"No, I can't," said Jacob interestedly to his nephew. He had just finished work and getting ready to leave. Honestly, he loved Lewis, the son of his dear younger sister (may she Rest In Peace), but sometimes the kid could drive him nuts. "Now can you please

Like right now with Lewis going back in forth in front of his desk, whining about how he had discovered Gwendolyn kissing some other guy the other day. Jacob didn't need to hear this because he was busy with Mayoral duties, and trying to calm everyone down from the wolf attack so that they could go back to focusing on the preparations for the upcoming spring festival. Not to mention that he also had to plan his own wedding to Rosalind in a few months.

He did not need to add his nephews complaints about his failure in love to it. Not that he was even in the running, in his opinion. He told Lewis to just take things slow like he did with Rosalind, but did the boy listen? No, he just had to go overboard, acting all crazed admirer on her. So it was no wonder to Jacob that she chose someone else.

However, Lewis just ignored him and just kept continuing his rant. "What does she in him anyway?" He whined. "I'm taller and more good looking than that dwarf, and I have known her far longer than he has. Plus, I have a normals skin tone while he is a sickly shade of green! This is so unfair!"

"Calm down nephew," Jacob calmly putting a hand on his shoulder. "I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, I don't think she is actually interested in the guy."

"Why do you think that?" He asked.

"Well everyone in town knows for a fact that Gwendolyn has never been interested in anyone," Jacob explained. "So she and the dwarf are definitely not together."

"Then why did I see them kissing yesterday?"

"It was an obvious ploy to get rid of you," he said. "Because you keep on being invading and forward with her instead of slow and earning her trust, as I keep on reminding you. Just do
that with her and you will earn both her trust and your heart. Besides, that dwarf is nothing to worry about."

"Are you sure," Lewis asked, looking hopeful.

"Of course," he replied. "After all you are the nephew of an elected official and he is just a lowly dwarf. It's not like he is a member of the F7, who I know from her mother that Gwendolyn despises. Plus don't that you have the family gift. So there is no doubt that you two are meant to be. That dwarf has nothing on you. Everything will go according to plan."

"You're right," he said, immediately cheering up.

"Exactly," said Jacob as he put on his coat. "Now if you will excuse me I have to go meet-"

His words cut off just as the door opened and Rosalind came in. Her mother-in-law, Meredith was behind her.

"Rosalind," Jacob said, surprised. "This a surprise! I was just leaving to see you. What are you doing here."

"Jacob I need your help," she said frantically, coming to him. She looked scared and honey brand strands of hair were falling from her bun.

"What the matter?" He asked in concern. "Are you ok?"

"I'm fine," she said. "It's Red. She is gone off into the woods by herself."

"Isn't that normal for her?" He asked confused.

"Yes, but she must have gone earlier because she was gone this morning," Rosalind explained. "Originally I thought she went really early to the store but then I noticed a note she left on the table, saying that she had something to do in the forest and will be back soon. So I left it and that, knowing that she will be back before sunset, and Davey is with her. But now she hasn't come and I am worried. Not only that but our guest, Arthur, has disappeared as well. What if something happened to them? They could be get attacked by the same beast that killed Mr. Marley."

Jacob was not expecting that. "Do you have an idea why she would do that?"

"No," she said, hesitantly, as if unsure of her answer.

He had a feeling she was hiding something. "What is going on Rosalind?"

"I can't tell you. It's a secret," Rosalind said.

"Any secret you can tell me," he said. "Whatever it is, I promise that it will never leave this room. Right Lewis?" He said this last part to his nephew.

"Oh uh right," said Lewis.

  Rosalind hesitated and looked to Meredith for a moment, who gave a nod. Then she turned and to him and sighed . "I can't give you all the details," she said. "But Red is under a curse that has been on my late husband's family for decades. It only happens at night and causes it victims to suffer each time."

"And we keep it secret from others because we don't want anyone treating Red badly because of it." Added Meredith.

"Thank you both for telling me love," he assuredly to them. "You don't have to worry because I still love you and care for your daughter, despite the curse, and I will make sure both your daughter and guest make it back safely home."

"You will?" Rosalind asked hopefully.

"Well, not me personally because I am important duties to do here and I know nothing about forests," he said. "But I think I know two people who can."

"Who?" She asked curiously.

"Oh these two big guys from another kingdom who came to me a few days ago, asking for permission to put up some posters for their master," he explained.

"But will they will be willing to help find my daughter" she asked.

"And Arthur," Meredith asked.

"I'm certain they will," assured Jacob. "Especially since I have something that will interest them."

"You sure about this," Rosalind asked. "I am not to sure about having total strangers try to find them."

"Don't worry," he said. "These guys are skilled professionals."

"You certain they aren't dangerous?"

"I promise," he said. "Be it just to sure, I will make sure neither of them harm one inch of Gwendolyn. Plus, how hard it will be for them to find a a girl in a red hood and a little green dwarf in a forest. Do you trust me."

"I do," she said, assured. "I wouldn't accept your proposal if I didn't."

"Then you don't have to worry," he said. "After  all you, Gwendolyn and I will soon be family. So of course I would never let any harm come to her. As for your guest, I will make sure nothing happens to him either."

"Thank you Jacob," said Rosalind. "I'm so lucky to have found a man like you."

"Yes thank you," agreed Meredith.

"That's why they elected mayor isn't it?" He asked them. They laughed in return.

"Lewis," he said, turning to him. "Those two men are still staying at the inn right?"

"I think so," he said.

"Good, then go there and tell them that I request a meeting with them later tonight. For now though, I am going to walk these ladies safely home."

"Right away Uncle," said Lewis before he rushed to the door and headed outside.

Once he was gone, Jacob turned to Rosalind and Meredith. "Now that's taken care of, let's go get you ladies home."

"Oh Jacob dear, you don't have to," said Rosalind. "I already told you that we already know our way home."

"No insist," he said. "After all, I cant anything happen to my future wife and her mother-in-law with a muderous beast on the loose."

"Well we can't argue with that," she said with a smile. "Right Meredith."

"Speak for yourself," she replied. "For I am able to handle beasts."

Everyone laughed at that.

"Again I can't thank you enough Jacob," said Rosalind as they were heading outside. "Although, it's a wonder how you can remain calm through all of this."

"That's because I always make sure to have a solution for every problem like this comes my way," he explained.

It was the truth, because he would never let anything, or anyone ruin his plans.