04 • meet the wife

THE WALKING DEAD
- a rick grimes fanfic story -

EDITED: 4/7/24

THE WALKING DEAD- a rick grimes fanfic story - EDITED: 4/7/24

GREENE FARM 📍

season 2, episode 2
part 3

   I sat on a wooden chair with a book in my hand. I would say that I've been sitting here next to Carl reading for a few hours, a few hours, and still no sight of Otis or Shane.

No one had really checked on me since I stormed out of the room and in here. Of course, they checked up on Carl, but no one said a word to me, knowing I was upset.

Maggie came in here a few minutes after to let me know she'd be heading out on a horse to track down Rick's wife, I didn't reply, only staring at Carl. She sighed and left without another word.

I felt bad that I was upset with everyone, I shouldn't be upset with them wanting to protect me from the outside, they all knew the way I'd react. But I don't want to seem weak anymore, after what I saw I deserve to be the one who handles those creatures outside.

I continue to read the book in my hands, that is until I hear a small grunt from the bed beside me. The book quickly drops from my view as I snap my head towards the noise. I watch as Carl moves slowly, his eyes fluttering open.

"Dad? Dad?" Carl cries out, his voice cracking due to the screaming and crying he did earlier and probably because his throat was dry from no water. I quickly move, grabbing a glass of water I had just in case.

"Hey, Hey, Hey," I whispered, trying to comfort the young boy. He tilts his head over to look at me, his face only filled with confusion as he takes a long look at me.

"Who—Who are you?" Carl asks, I slowly hand him the glass of water which he greatly takes and steals a few sips from it.

"I'm Nola, me and my uncle Hershel have been helpin' you. Do you remember what happened?" I ask him softly, I place my hand on his wrist, feeling for his pulse which was steady and strong. I then take the back of my hand feeling for a fever, which at this time I don't feel.

"I was in the forest, looking for my friend, Sophia," He explains, I furrow my eyebrows as I listen to him, I never really heard of what they were doing while in the woods but I continue to listen carefully. "I was with my dad, and Shane, then there was a deer. Then... I remember feeling pain and falling, and then now I'm here." Carl explains, I nod my head.

"You were shot, but thankfully you're going to be okay," I whisper to the boy, I know it isn't my place to tell him he's going to be okay, to give false hope, but he is a child. The longer Shane and Otis are out looking for the supplies, the longer Carl is at risk.