40 • we'll be alright

THE WALKING DEAD

season 3, episode 16(finale)

(finale)

        I threw the heavy bag in the car's trunk with a grunt, taking the other bag from Carl's hands to throw it in along with the others.

Carl sent me a long glare, making sure to let me know he was pissed.

After everyone had thought about what to do they decided to fight for the prison. But much to Carl's dismay he had to stay out of the actual battle, instead he had to stay with Hershel, Judith, and Beth, keep watch rather than fight.

We had all come up with the plan easily, with a few changes here and there.

The plan was to take all of our belongings from the prison, pack them into cars, and leave the cars outside of the prison gates— away from the Governor's sight.

Once the Governor and his people raided the prison we'd attack him in surprise, giving him no choice but to surrender, or die.

After Michonne had returned to the prison Daryl followed after her, he shared with us the sad news about Merle's death, and he was struck hard by this sudden loss.

We weren't close with Merle, hell we couldn't stand him. But we felt for Daryl, everyone including me understood loss, and we understood him.

I clutched my jacket closer to my body as a harsh breeze blew over me, I shuttered as chills ran down my body.

Once the wind had passed I continued to throw bags inside the car, my head turning to see Rick checking the engine on each vehicle.

Beth to my left pushed the last bag inside with a sigh, I brought my attention back towards her, requesting her to close the trunk as I walked towards the ex-sheriff.

As I made my way towards Rick I placed a comforting hand on his back, offering him a tight-lipped smile as he turned to see the culprit.

"Looks like we might share a room after all," I told him jokingly, he shook his head with a tired laugh, his hot breath turning into mist once it touched the air.

"Looks like it," Rick mumbled with the same tone, slamming the trunk closed. He then offered me a polite smile, moving to walk towards Shane's old car.

I watched him leave, the smile on my face never leaving. A deep sigh exhaled through my nose slowly, my eyes dropping on the ground.

Rick was anxious about this plan, he was also guilty of making Carl stay back rather than fight. I tried my hardest not to overbear him with my presence, not wanting to stress him out further.

My eyes then trailed up from the ground, peering over the prison I considered to be home, that I resided in, that I survived in.

It was the same place where T-Dog died, Lori died, and where Judith was born. It was where we found Michonne, a new member of our dysfunctional family.