50 • jack london

THE WALKING DEAD

season 4, episode 11

With heavy steps, I walked right into the dining room with a pleased smile as I wore a large red button-up that Michonne and I had found in one of the bedrooms.

Since Michonne had been here for a day I had never laughed so much, she truly knew how to turn my frown upside down. I had almost completely forgotten about everything that happened at the prison.

Key word, almost.

Through these past few days, I helped Rick with his injuries, and fortunately, he was in better shape than he was before. We haven't really had the chance to sit down and have a serious talk, we didn't have a room to share anymore.

As soon as Michonne and I walked through the entrance of the dining room Carl's head perked up from his bowl, a loud laugh leaving him as he stared at the two of us.

"What?" I asked innocently, taking a seat right next to him with an infectious smile.

"Do you have something to say about our extremely comfortable and attractive shirt?" Michonne questioned, her eyebrows raised playfully.

Carl let out another laugh at the playfulness attached to Michonne's words, instantly shaking his head at the two of us. "No, no, no. It looks great," Carl defended, his hands raised in surrender.

Michonne rolled her eyes with a bright smile on her face before taking a seat, her hand instantly grabbing ahold of the bag of cereal. I watched the two closely, a hint of a smile on my face.

The woman to my left then suddenly poured the dry cereal into my bowl, giving me much more than she and Carl combined. I shot her a quick look, my expression full of surprise, but all she could do was softly grin.

"I wish we had some soy milk," Michonne smirked, her eyes drifting off toward Carl, who grimaced at her statement.

"Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously. Have you ever tried it?" She asked, her eyebrows waiting as she awaited the teenager's response.

At that moment, I watched a genuine smile curl on Carl's face, his head lowering to face the table as he thought to himself. "My best friend in third grade, he was allergic to dairy," He began, turning to face the two of us.

I nodded and offered him an 'Uh-huh' in acknowledgment, my spoon in hand as I mindlessly ate the cereal. Michonne gave him the same courtesy, staring at him intently as he continued the story.

"And every day he would bring this soy stuff to lunch. I tried it," I could sense the nostalgia in Carl's voice as he spoke about his third-grade friend, and I could feel my whole chest warm at the sight.