34 • war

THE WALKING DEAD

EDITED: 5/31/24

season 3, episode 10

We were all preparing for a potential war on our hands, everyone was doing whatever they could to ensure that the prison was secure and we had weapons at all times.

Lately, Rick had been wandering off a lot, never really giving a second look toward any of us, not even Carl or Judith. It was as if he was reliving Lori's death all over again, he was rarely inside the prison.

The leadership was all up to me at this point, which I didn't really have a problem with. But I knew both Rick and I sometimes thought differently, and that would change things up until Rick finally came to his senses.

The woman with the samurai sword, whose name I found out is Michonne, has been staying on the bus outside the prison. I told her she could stay in a cell but she rejected it, saying she didn't want to piss off Rick again.

Michonne was tough, but she was nice. I knew she had more to her than she made out to be, and I knew she and I could get along very well when this 'Governor' shit was figured out.

At this moment I was crouched on the ground in our cell block, a piece of chalk in my hand as I skillfully outlined the prison. As I finished I placed the piece of chalk down, wiping my hands on my dark blue jeans.

"So you said you found Tyreese's group here?" I asked the teenage boy to my right, he slowly lowered himself to the ground, glancing over at my finger which pointed towards a drawn square.

"Yeah," Carl mumbled. I furrowed my brows, shaking my head as I glanced over at Glenn.

"We secured this," I replied, I looked over at the teenage boy to see him examining the outline carefully.

"He thought he came through here," Carl informed me, visually showing me as he traced his pointer finger against the chalk. I rubbed my mouth with a small groan, slowly peering up at everyone else in the room.

"Means there's another breach. The whole front of the prison is unsecure. So if walkers were able to stroll in, then it's gonna be easy for a group of armed men." I thought aloud, biting my bottom lip harshly as I thought to myself.

"Why are we even so sure he's going to attack?" Beth said obliviously, I sent her a blank look in return. "Maybe you scared him off."

I let out a breathy laugh, rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"He had fishtanks full of heads. Walkers and humans. Trophies. He's comin'." Michonne informed all of us, and I sent a sharp nod towards her in agreement. I then slowly stood to my feet, peering over everyone's worried faces.