52 • no

THE WALKING DEAD

tw: sexual assault, violence, & death

season 4, episode 15 & 16
(part 1)

      I bit my lower lip as I focused on my wobbling feet, making sure to take slow and steady steps as I walked on the thin train railing. It was as if I were walking on a tightrope, my arms outstretched as I balanced myself.

It was now a new beautiful day, and I had a bright smile on my face as we continued our eventful travel to Terminus– which was hopefully a safe place for all of us, and where I hoped I'd find Beth and Maggie again.

Carl and I never spoke about what happened the night before, and thankfully everything between us stayed the same. But I could tell he kept an extra eye on me, always asking me if I was okay.

Rick had taken the lead to Terminus, I could tell he was happy to be given this new opportunity as well– all of us were. Rick could also tell something was different between Carl and me, though he didn't question it.

Michonne and Carl had joined me on the train railing, the three of us making a silent challenge with each other. I just hoped I'd win, because it involved chocolate.

"I think we got about a day's worth of water left," I heard Rick say from ahead of us, oblivious to what we were doing. "We're lucky it's cooled off a little bit, but..."

My eyes stayed right on the metal rail as I wobbled, my teeth capturing my bottom lip as I tried to focus on the challenge at hand rather than Rick. I heard his footsteps stop, then a ruffle of gravel as he turned around.

I could feel the intensity of his stare as he watched the three of us amusingly, a soft almost unnoticeable chuckle leaving him. "What are you doing?"

"Winning a bet!" Carl quipped from behind me.

"In your dreams," Michonne playfully scoffed to my left, her head tilted as she watched the two of us.

Instinctively I snapped my head toward Rick, only to see the most infectious and genuine grin on his face, his mesmerizing baby blues crinkling and sparkling with amusement yet love.

"I've got this bet in the bag. Good luck on beatin' me," I said jokingly, my cheeks burning as my own bright smile broke on my face.

"I'm still on," I heard Carl say, his hands pushing against my back. I gasped at the action, my feet momentarily wobbling.

"Hey! That's cheating!" I exclaimed, but the soft snickers from Michonne and Carl drowned out my protest.

"Alright, alright, no pushing. Sorry," Carl said, his voice wavering with laughter before a soft gasp left him, causing me to turn my head to see him wobbling on his own feet.