39 • home

THE WALKING DEAD

EDITED: 4/30/24

season 3, episode 15

      It had been two long grueling days, the clock was ticking.

These past two days have been nothing but chaos in my mind, I couldn't dare myself to look in the eyes of Michonne. I was afraid I'd spill the news to her, and I couldn't do that.

I hadn't even spoken to Rick for two days, too pissed to even look in his direction. He and the group noticed my behavior, but they hadn't spoken about it. Not to me at least.

Rick had tried his best to talk to me, begging for me to at least look at him, but I couldn't. I was done pleading with him to keep Michonne here, he wasn't going to listen. He wanted to assure his family's safety, but I knew deep down we were dead either way.

The Governor wasn't going to let us off the hook that easily, he wasn't just going to go on his way, we threatened him, and we made him look weak in front of his people. He wanted blood. He wanted war.

I knew Rick had only mentioned the war to everyone to scare them, to prepare them. But at the same time, he was ready for war himself, he didn't want anyone taking his home. Which I couldn't help but admire.

I could sense that Rick was afraid I was done with him, with his constant longing looks, with his slow steps when walking past me, with his stuttering words every time I handed Judith to him. He wanted to talk, and I did too.

But I couldn't talk to him in that kind of way until this was all over until I knew that we were safe.

So I planned to do exactly that.

I stood outside, a knife in hand as I stabbed walkers through the fence. Ever since we spoke with Philip all I had been doing was standing outside and killing any walker in my sight, knowing it burned off most of my pent-up anger.

From behind me, I could hear the metal door open and close, my sweat and blood-covered face turning to see Rick, Daryl, and Hershel. I cleared my throat, moving my head back around to stab one last walker in the head before making my way towards the three men.

"What's the deal?" Daryl questioned Rick. At the same time, Daryl turned his eyes over to me, gawking my bloody figure up and down with a confused expression.

Rick let out a heavy breath, his hands moving to rest on his hips. He glanced over at me, licking his lips.

"We gotta give him Michonne," Rick said guiltily, wiping a hand over his mouth. Daryl's mouth gaped open in surprise, his eyes peering over the three of us.

"Is that why Nola's so pissed off at you?" Daryl grunted with a breathy laugh, I shot him a sharp look, scoffing underneath my breath.

"Yeah. It is. Can we move on?" I snapped, wiping the walker blood off my face with the back of my hand. Daryl shot me a wide-eyed look, his hands raising in mock surrender at my burst.