53

It was the third day and visit since Yeonjun arrived to the Kings Palace.
Yesterday, him and the King had played chess. King Damian had won every round, some wins effortless, and others a close match. Today was the same, but Yeonjun could only lose so many times before he had to resist the urge to throw the chess board outside the window.

"Thank you" King Damian says with every win. Yeonjun sighs and leans back into his seat, and the King begins re setting the pawns on the chess board. He looks out towards the window and thinks about what Beomgyu is doing.

His mind pulls up the memories from this morning. He had woken up before the sun had completely rose. The room was blue and when he had first opened his eyes he was facing the ceiling, then he turns his head and find Beomgyu besides him asleep. He stirs in his sleep and scoots closer to Yeonjun, this is when the prince turns his body to face Beomgyu and pulled the photographer into an embrace. He and the prince slept with no shirts, Beomgyus warm skin and Yeonjuns cold skin balancing each other's temperature.

The prince tightens his hold, a part of him feared that if his hold was too weak then Beomgyu would disappear for years again. He kisses the photographers hair and makes note that his shampoo smells like pine.

"Do you want to play again?" King Damian asks

"Huh? Oh yeah sure" Yeonjun snaps back from his memories and remembers where he's at.

"I'd figure you'd be sick of losing" King Damian jokes.

"Is it that obvious?"

"You losing? Yeah" Damian playfully smirks as he pours himself a cup of tea

"So did you just bring me here to play chess with me?" The prince questions

"You can leave whenever you want Yeonjun, I brought you here but I'm not forcing you to stay" King Damian sips his tea.

Yeah right, if Yeonjun had left right now, Beomgyu was rip into him about how rude and insensitive it is to leave after all this time already. Which isn't wrong.

"Well why did you bring me here?"

"Well, I'm dying and I want to know my only son"

"Wow I feel soo special"

"I know okay, I don't deserve to know you; and I've always wanted to know you, but I was just scared. It shouldn't have taken a doctor telling me I only have three months left to get the guts to look at you, but it did and here I am. I'm sorry." Yeonjun appreciated the apology and a part of him needed to hear it, and another part was angry.

"You say you want to know me but all we've done is play chess and drink tea! Do you think that one apology is going to make up for twenty one years of abandonment?! Look I'm not saying that I cried over it- because I didn't- but you could have at least sent a fucking birthday card!" King Damian smiles sadly.

"You're right. I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing, you're supposed to be a king" Yeonjun scoffs and looks away.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you shouldn't show weakness to anyone. If you show weakness then the people will think you're weak, and a nation is only as strong as their leader" Yeonjun explains how reasoning.

"It is not weak to show compassion."

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK! "King Damian it is almost time" the Kings personal nurse knocks on the door and calls from the other side.

"Oh yeah, the reason I had called you so early was because I actually have some doctors appointments and other stuff I have to attend to and I won't be here for the remainder of the day" King Damian begins to slowly and carefully get himself up from his seat.