23. Shade

Sign in

Reminder to vote & comment🤍

📍PHOENIX PARK VILLAGE,
PORTMORE

Z  A  R  A
ᴢᴀʀᴀ

"..and then and then when I come out, I see Mickoi at the door angry mommy.."

I kiss my teeth.

Why Qara chat so much?

"And where was Zara?" comes mommy's voice. They're in the kitchen it seems. I can smell Mac & Cheese.

"Titter was on the floor crying.." Qara retorts. Why she mek it sound so? "She slides like this down the wall. Like we do on the slides as at schoooool."

"On the floor?" Mommy is stunned. I just slid down. Why Qara so extra?

I stare at the headboard in annoyance.

"Yessss," Qara stresses the s.

I turn and pull the pillow over my head. Qara is so loud talking my business. She has been at it for the past ten minutes.

Now she's asking mommy why I'm not up for school. I can expect one of them soon. I'm so annoyed.

Ugh!

"Aren't you gonna wake her up mommy? It's soon time for us to get ready," her little voice filled with concern.

"I'm gonna wake her start eating," I hear mommy say. I puff the pillow and sink my head in, getting myself ready to fake sleep.

She's now at my door.

I snap my eyes close, my body still. The only sound evident is the Ac running. I turned off the fan when it got too cold.

"Zara," mommy calls from the door. Her voice laced with concern.

"Zara," she shakes my leg. I don't respond. I keep my eyes squeezed tight as if my life depends on it.

I feel my bed dip.

She sits on the edge. She shakes my shoulder. "Zara baby...wake up you have school."

I still don't move.

She slaps my arm. I'm afraid of it. She does again. I pop my eyes open to see her staring down at me. She isn't dressed for work.

"Mommy," I whine annoyed and turn my face from her. Conscious that my eyes are swollen. I've been crying.

I fell asleep crying.

Now that I'm up, I feel the need to cry again.

I attached myself to Nickoi.

And now that we lef I don't know what to do with myself. I just feel like a fool.

"Get up you have school," mommy stands. I sigh and lie down for a next minute. She's still there. I prop up on my elbow.

"I don't want to go to school," I tell her.

"Zara nuh you have Mock exams?" she drops her hand to her broad hips.