103. Menace

Ready for Menace? Drop your battery%🇪🇸🥷

HOMESTEAD, PORTMORE
Z A R A
ᴢᴀʀᴀ

As Charley's footsteps draw nearer, pushing the wheelchair, we crouch down behind the sofa. Sash stands tense and eager beside the door.

I look around at everybody. Our family from Portland are here.

"Unuh member wah fi say?"

Everyone nods, except mama. "Mi only member the last part."

"Afta' we go over it how much time Mama?"

"Mi nuh member every word masa, member me a' old foot," she makes me sigh. From evening mi deh ya a try rehearse with dem to get it right—and distract myself from the fact that Nickoi kill the bwoy in public.

I push that thought to the back of my head, but I can't. Suppose him guh jail? And lef me alone with the baby dem?

I shift my attention to mama. Not wanting to stress myself.

"Mama a time fi execute and yuh nuh member nutt'n," I complain.

She laughs.

"Bwoy mi a tell you," I breathe out.

"Zara we member so no worry," my cousins tries to give me little hope.

Aunty Vivia laughs. "A really yuh granny grow you. How yuh miserable so?"

Pouting my lips, I stay quiet. Mommy laughs at me. She's here too, Mampie too. She doesn't seem bothered.

Shifting my gaze to Sash, I observe her body language. She's tense and visibly excited to see her brother. She has sweaty hands, she keeps wiping them on her shorts.

Awww.

The knob turns, Sash mouths. "Bawl it out now."

It's slowly coming around to reveal him. We gear up ourselves.

As it slowly swings open, anticipation is building. The door opens fully. We leap up, holding a sign, and shout our rehearsed line in perfect unison.

"HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS AND YOURS IS FINALLY HOME. WELCOME HOME GAVINNNN!"

Gavin gasp.

"Watch ya?" he slaps his hand over his mouth.