89. Trix

Nick or Zara's POV?💌

📍HOMESTEAD, SPANISH TOWN
Z  A  R  A
ᴢᴀʀᴀ

Doing the last plait in mama's hair I laugh at her and the community lawyer's conversation

You nuh want dem lady ya chat yuh.

"Vinette mi say I neva' see a woman build a mansion and nuh wuk a day in har life," Mama lets out a laugh, her eyes on the house across from us.

Vinette, the community lawyer comes closer in a whisper.

"Everything pan har house she get a man fi it. House wah tile? She deh with one. House wah deck off? She get a man weh do that, house want a plumber? She get that? Now the house a paint, she deh wid Rupie," Vinette claps her hands together.

"Wah deh pan Rupie?" Mama shakes her head. "Such a disgrace."

"It's finished now mama," I gently pat her head.

"Put on the young gyal sup'm now," she tells me. I step back to give her a good look.

"Which young gyal sup'm Miss Sandra?" I playfully ask, taken aback.

Gavin who is seated in the living room chimes in. "A the bonnet she mean."

We erupt in laughter.

"Nuh the tie head?" Mama looks in at Gavin. He tilts his phone to answer her.

"Bonnet Mama," he looks back at his phone, sounding somewhat annoyed.

"A wah inna fi yuh phone so?" Mama turns back to her friend.

I place the bonnet over her head and tie the string around it. I don't know who told her that this was for her age group.

"Young gyal yuh want look like," Daddy walks in the yard.

Mama laughs.

"Vinette!" Someone calls at her gate.

"Oye!" She stands, tells Mama she'll be back and walk through the gate. Soon as she turns her back, mama looks at me.

"See how she sidung a chat the gyal she no better eno," Mama pushes her lips out and kiss her teeth.

Lawddd Jesus!

Have mercy pan mi hypocrite granny.

I walk in the house, remove the pink wig and install the black one that I bought recently. My mind runs on Nickoi. Leaning over, I call his number.