32. Monster

Mua💋, remember to vote.

📍NCB, CLOCK TOWER
Z A R A
ᴢᴀʀ

I walk out of Ncb, the one at Clock tower

I walk out of Ncb, the one at Clock tower. I'm hungry, I feel for a sandwich.

Plantains specifically.

"You got through?" Mommy questions on the phone.

Look how mi forget mommy?

The sun a pelt.

It feels like it's literally parting the middle of my head in two.

I just went to get my account finalized. Henry was here with me. He got a call and told the lady he had an emergency.

I doubt it.

Nah lie still, mi glad him buy yuh the likkle phone.

Nuh true?

God know mi did a dead.

"Yea I did but it look like when attitude was giving away, a dem get all a it," I smack my lips, walking along the road.

Mommy laughs. "Wah dem do now?"

"She ask mi for my passport size picture, then two seconds after a she that a give attitude and a gwaan like me nuh affi go inna the bag fi the sup'm," I roll my eyes.

"So dem always gwaan. But I'm glad you got through," she sounds tired.

"Yeah," I nod even though she can't see me.

I didn't go to school.

I glimpse my watch.

After 3 already? No wonder me a see so much school Pitney.

Some of the boys staring.

Fuss dem see a pretty gyal?

Dem better know say behind you is a mad man.

Behind who? Mi single like a Pringle.

"Indi, like a you God send fimme, wonder if you kinky?" one boy from Calabar says, his friends laugh as they pass.

Corny.

And every single one o' dem green. I shake my head with a disgusted expression.

"She pretty eeeh?" a random girl say. She's walking with her Mona friends. She's in casual clothes.

"Thank you," I smile.

She turns to her friends as they pass. "You know me a be real. Once me see a pretty girl me a make she know."

Big up she cause fi some reason girls my age always tuff up dem face when dem a pass me, like we inna competition.

Like please, yuh doh affi call to me.