105. Rich is Right

5 MONTHS AFTER

Hey y'all🤍🫶🏽
What's your percentage? I know I'm late btw.

📍HOMESTEAD, PORTMORE
H E N R Y
ʜᴇɴʀʏ

Mi life aguh change!

Mi feel it, fada mi feel it!

Eyes glued to the TV, I watch the Cash Pot numbers being called. Each number matches my card, my heart pounding.

6, 14, 22, 20....

"Please," I breathe. Just one more left. Just one more, before my life changes forever.

The ball is rolling. My bowel too.

"...and the lucky number is....." I keep moving.

God know me wah number 2.

God know.

Uneasy, hands sweating, hoping and praying, I shake my feet. Please God please. Please play my card.

Anyhow yuh do that mi tun Christian.

Henry yaw gamble and a drag in God?

How that wo—

"34!" the woman's voice rings out, clear and crisp. I glance down at my card, my breath catching.

Nuh 34 this?!

Shit.

I wipe my eyes. Maybe mi a see doubles. Mek mi look good. Hoisting the paper up in the direct light.

There it is: 34, the final number. For a moment, the world stands still. The hum of the TV, the distant sounds from the street outside—all of it fades into a surreal silence.

We richhhhhh!

We richhhhhhhhhh!

My heart pounds in my chest, a mixture of disbelief and overwhelming joy taking over. Mi win the lattooo! Mi win the lattoooooo!

Jahhhhh! You finally play my card!?

A just $200 mi use and buy a Latto ticket enuh. Now me win millions?

Thank you God!

Thank yuh!

"Wah nuh dead nuh dash weh," I say adrenalized. I can't remember the last time feeling like this.

With trembling hands, I reach for my phone, eager to share the news with my daughter. She's the reason I do this.

She's the reason I try to be something.

I want to do more for her. I want to be a good father. I want to be a good grandfather. I want to have her moth—

She diss yuh. Have sense, the voice in my head reminds me.

I smile at the screen as it rings, bursting with joy.

She answers the video call, already smiling. I notice that she's getting her makeup done. Today's her baby shower, gender reveal.