10: Birthday Wish

Tiny POV

Lily ran out of the party hurriedly, and the girls rushed over, asking what I did to scare her off. I assured them it wasn't me and my awkwardness this time, but they didn't believe me.

Should I have not asked for her number? Maybe I stepped out of line telling her to call me if she needed help. But Tiger and Kayla have told her the same thing. This is why I don't have a girlfriend. I can't even talk to one, let alone ask them out.

The rest of the night, the guys and I talked about some improvements the guys want done on their bikes. Vegas took a turn too tight, coming into the gravel driveway, and scraped the side of the bike up pretty well. I figured while I repaint his bike, I might as well give mine a fresh coat and replace the clutch with a new one I wanted to try out.

Everyone slowly trickled upstairs, but Gears saw me and my warm beer, and sat with me.

"Happy Birthday, dude," he said, clinking my bottle against his.

"Thanks, brother," I huffed, leaning back in the booth.

"What happened to Lily earlier?"

"The fuck if I know. I handed her my phone to get her number, but she took off before I could even get it," I said, running my hand through my short hair.

Gears looked at me questioningly. "I'm sure Hawk would get whatever information you need," he suggested.

"No, I don't want her to think I was snooping without her permission," I reasoned. "I asked her if something was happening at home, but she said no. Did you know she's not even eighteen yet?" I asked, and Gears looked as surprised as I was.

"I thought she was. She carries herself well, and everyone respects her," Gears shrugged.

"I did too. But she became uncomfortable when I asked her about home. I know something is going on, and she's stuck there until March, and I can't sit here and do nothing," I huffed.

Gears clapped my shoulder and gave me a sympathetic look. "Try to get some sleep, and if you're still worried tomorrow, go to the diner and get Lily's number. And for the love of God, ask her out already," he laughed and went to bed.

I sat alone in the clubhouse for a while, not ready to go to bed yet. Looking at the kitchen door, I remembered the pie in the fridge and got up to cut myself a slice.

Tiger came in and gave me a sheepish smile before pouring herself some water. I watched her rummage through some cupboards for something before grabbing a lighter. She turned around, stuck a candle in my half-eaten slice of pie, and lit it.

"Happy Birthday, Tiny," she whispered and kissed my cheek. "Tomorrow, I expect a lunch date with my favorite younger brother."

I smiled and nodded, and Tiger headed back up to bed.

Closing my eyes like I was ten again, I made a wish and blew out my candle.

I wish for a better life for Lily.

*****

Tiger and I walked into Redemption Diner and sat at our usual booth. Looking around, I didn't see Lily, but I found a very stressed Callie and a confused Nathan.

"I'm sure she's fine. She probably just overslept," Tiger said, smirking at me.

Nathan came over and took our order, and I mumbled something, looking at the back door the entire time.

Tiger kicked me under the table, and I glanced at her. "What now?" I asked, rolling my eyes.

"You know what? It's written all over your face. Why don't you call Lily and check in? Because I can't take it much longer, and if you don't, I will," she stated.

"I can't. She left before I could get her number," I admitted.

Tiger pulled out her phone and slid it across the table. "I'm sure she won't mind since she was going to give it to you, anyway."

I debated what to do, but Tiger had a point and sent me the contact information as our food came out. We talked about the new house and how well Dakota was doing in his training. Although he still confused playtime with guarding and was better at being an emotional support dog, Tiger didn't mind.

While Tiger paid the bill with Ace's card, I stared at Lily's number, wondering if I should text her or what to say.

I could thank her for the pie, and for coming to the party and if she's free this week. Yeah, that sounds nice.

I typed out the text and was about to hit send when Tiger yanked me out of the booth, saying we needed to leave. Now. She drove home, angry, but I figured it was best not to ask her anything.

Thankfully, we made it back in one piece, and I didn't throw up lunch. My feet hit the ground, and I thanked Jesus; silently, of course.

Tiger ripped open the clubhouse door and headed straight to Killer's office. I sat down with Gears, who nodded to Tiger. "What's up with her? Did you pay for lunch again? You know she hates when you do that," he laughed.

"No, I let her pay, but she stormed out of there fuming," I shrugged.

"I took apart Vegas' bike. The frame is ready for paint when you are," Gears said, and we headed for the garage.

Gears helped me carry the bike parts into the paint shop before I started sandblasting it, giving me a better look at the damage Vegas did. It wasn't as bad as I thought, and after getting out the small dings, I applied a coat of primer, leaving it to dry for a few hours.

I changed my clutch next and told Gears I was taking it for a test drive and would be back later. The last time I went for a ride was months ago, and with how the past two days went, I needed another one.

Driving around here isn't the same as growing up. Riding in open fields with no destination in mind and the heat from the sun during summer is my favorite. However, with it being late January in Washington, it was far from warm. The roads were slick from the rain, so I took it easy.

As I drove further out of town, I followed a street I hadn't taken before until it ended in a small residential area with a few homes and a run-down apartment complex. A place where people live paycheck to paycheck. Not that I'm judging, having been there myself.

Circling the apartment complex, I caught sight of a car I'd recognize anywhere. Lily.

What is she doing living in a place like this? I know the diner doesn't pay super well, but well enough to afford a nice place, especially with three incomes from her family.

Sitting on my bike, I debated whether I should look for her apartment or ask Hawk for the information. There were several buildings, but the one her car was in front of was four stories. Without knowing which apartment she was in, and searching would take hours, I opted to text her and check in to see if she was okay.

Tiny: Hey! I went to the diner today but saw you weren't there. Hope everything is okay and you're getting the rest you need. - Tiny.

I waited a few minutes for a reply, but one never came, so I headed back. Stopping by the garage, I did another coat of primer, knowing I'd be kicking myself tomorrow if I didn't. Gears left a mess, per usual, and I spent a few minutes cleaning up before closing up shop and heading to the clubhouse with a pit in the bottom of my stomach.