18: Bruised and Battered

Tiny POV

At the top of the stairs, I stopped in front of Lily's apartment and waited for the others to catch up. They didn't look thrilled to be breaking into the apartment, not knowing what was behind the door, but I knew they wouldn't let me do it alone.

We drew our guns; I nodded to Ace, who kicked in the door and we filed in. The living room, kitchen, and dining room were all one space and empty. Beer bottles and drugs littered the couch and coffee table. The place smelled of must and old smoke, burning my lungs.

We're in the right place.

I moved to the bedroom. The bed was unmade, the dresser looked half-standing, and a stack of money with baggies of white powder was on the nightstand. I grabbed one and saw the same symbol on it as the others. Gears tapped my shoulder and nodded to the bathroom, and I could hear the shower running.

Lily.

I could hear Killer and Ace tearing the place apart, confiscating all the drugs, while Gears cleared out the bedroom. I stood a few inches from the bathroom door, straining to hear anything that would ease my worry and fears, but all I heard was silence.

After ten minutes, the others collected everything they needed, and we waited for Lily to finish showering. Five minutes later, she still hadn't come out, and I started pacing. We needed to leave before Sean returned with any Devil's Disciples, and time was running out.

My worry for Lily grew, and as much as I didn't want to invade her privacy, I needed to know Lily was okay. Looking at Killer, he nodded, and I slammed the door open just as Lily fell out of the shower, hitting the toilet and taking the shower curtain with her. The curtain tangled around her body, but new bruises mixed with older ones were more than visible. Killer, Ace, and Gears stood behind me, looking at the bruised and battered girl before us.

"I'll call Doc and Tiger and tell them to meet us at my place," Killer said, walking away with his phone to his ear.

Ace turned off the running shower. Crouching, I removed my vest and laid it over her shaking body. I brushed her matted, wet hair away from her face and saw her blue-tinted lips. Feeling the rest of her skin it was ice-cold, and my heart dropped.

"The water is freezing," Ace growled.

"So is she," I whispered, picking her up and holding her against my chest. She curled further into me, stealing my body heat, and breaking my heart even more.

"Lily," I whispered, but she didn't respond.

We all loaded into the truck and put the heater on full blast, trying to warm Lily back up. I took off my shirt and carefully placed it on her, keeping my eyes on her face, not wanting to invade her privacy more than I already had.

Doc and Tiger were at the house by the time we pulled into the driveway. I stayed with Lily as Doc checked her out. He put some ointment on the darker, older bruises and looked at her throat. Tiger came in with some sweats, so Doc and I left and headed to the kitchen with the others.

"She had bruises spanning from three weeks to a few days old. At least three fractured ribs and there is no lasting damage to her throat. Her elbow and shin took a hit during the fall, but nothing broke. Apply this every eight hours and make sure she ices regularly," Doc said, setting the ointment on the counter.

Killer thanked him for coming by and handed him an envelope before walking him to the door. Tiger came down and plopped herself in Ace's lap. "Lily is still asleep, but I know she will wake up confused and probably anxious in a space she doesn't know. Might be nice to see a familiar face when she wakes up," Tiger suggested, looking at me.

Nodding, I went upstairs and sat in the armchair next to the bed. Lily's hair dried into beautiful waves, and I brushed some stray strands aside and could feel her warming up. I held her hand in mine as my mind raced through everything that happened. Images of Lily's naked, bruised body and icy skin replayed in my mind.

How could I have missed this? How long was she in there for? Why didn't she get out? I should have never let Lily leave the diner after seeing her. Ace may have wanted a conversation with Sean before. But now I want answers.

*****

I must have fallen asleep, and small cries woke me. Lily's eyes were still closed, but her brows furrowed, and her lips were silently moving as she took quick breaths.

She's having a nightmare.

Carefully, I sat on the bed next to her and gently took her hand in mine. Her breathing returned to normal, and she returned to a restful sleep, but I didn't move. The door cracked open, and Gears quietly entered the room with breakfast, but I refused to eat.

Gears sat with me for the next hour when Lily stirred, and her eyes fluttered open, and I could breathe again. Gears excused himself and said he would ask Tiger to make some soup for Lily.

"Tiny. What are you doing here?" she whispered.

"Don't worry about it. How are you feeling?" I asked.

"I'm okay. Just a little sore, but I'll live," Lily groaned, trying to sit up. I gently placed my hand on her shoulder, and she stopped.

We sat in silence, mostly because I didn't know what to say, and I didn't want to make things worse. Thankfully, Tiger came in with soup and Dakota trailing behind. He jumped onto the bed and laid across Lily's legs while Tiger talked about how we closed on the coffee shop and would start remodeling next week. Kayla would design most of the interior, which she could do sitting down and at home like Whiskey insisted. Lily attempted to laugh at her remark, but it came out strained.

"Sorry. I was trying to keep your mind off the pain, not cause more," Tiger grimaced.

"I've had worse. Besides, I need a good laugh," Lily smiled. Tiger excused herself, and Dakota followed.

I helped Lily sit up to eat, but watching her struggle was torture. I tried to understand how this wasn't the worst thing she's gone through, but it only angered me more. I wanted to ask what happened yesterday, but I couldn't bring myself to know the truth. Especially if there was something I could've done to stop it.

"Where am I?" she asked.

"Killer's place."

She nodded, processing. "Do I want to know how long I ended up here or for how long?"

"We found you yesterday morning. You were cold, wet, and unresponsive when I broke down the door," I answered, trying to keep my anger at bay, but failed.

Lily sank further into the bed, refusing to look at me. And her eyes watered. "I'm sorry you had to see that. I didn't mean to scare you," she said, tears falling.

I gently wiped them away, avoiding the bruises, and asked, "Why didn't you tell me? Or Kayla? Someone," I asked.

She shook her head, avoiding my eyes.

"How long has Sean been using you as a punching bag?"