16: Hell on Earth

Lily POV

I ran into the back of the diner, praying Tiny would leave and I wouldn't have to answer more of his questions. After a few minutes, I heard a bike engine start and fade down the street. Poking my head out, I saw he was gone, but there was a sizable tip on the counter, and I knew it was from Tiny. A hundred.

With the hundred-dollar bill from Tiny and the other tips I made today, I have enough to convince Sean I sold two bags of product for him without even selling one. Now, I have to figure out how to get rid of the drugs safely.

Think, Lily. Think. When the cops show up on the TV shows, what do they do with the drugs? Flush them down the toilet!

I waited until the end of my shift to use the restroom. The last thing I wanted was to clog the toilet, so I flushed one down the first time and then the other. Thankfully, they went down and didn't come back up. I washed my hands for a good four minutes before I felt somewhat clean. Not that I touched the powder.

Driving home, I kept looking over my shoulder, waiting to get pulled over and the cops finding drugs. I'd go to jail before I'm eighteen and probably tried as an adult! Sean told me the only job I had, besides selling, was to not get caught, and he got no argument from me on the second part.

I pulled safely into a parking spot and let out a breath. I unlocked the front door and found Sean sitting on the couch watching TV. He seemed occupied, so I went to the bedroom to change and take a quick shower. I set my clothes on the bathroom counter and looked up, finding Sean standing in the bathroom doorway.

"Did you sell what I gave you today?" he asked, with bloodshot eyes.

Nodding, I pointed to the nightstand where the money and drugs were. He picked up the money, counted it, and frowned. "Two bags? This is more like one and a half if that!" he remarked, throwing the cash on the bed.

Even through the mirror, I could tell Sean was ready to blow a gasket, but I had no excuse for him this time. He grabbed my shoulder and spun me around, slamming me into the counter behind me, causing my ribs to scream in pain. His hand dug into my skin, and I tried to remain calm.

"Where the hell is the rest of the money?!" he screamed.

"That's all of it. I promise," I reassured him. His face reddened, and I knew he didn't believe me.

With one hand still gripping me, Sean reached for the shower and turned it on. He hustled me under the cold water, holding me there, trying to get me to talk. This is something he does when he knows he can't beat me because it would cause too much attention, or because I would need a doctor's attention.

"Strip," he growled. I took off the soaking-wet clothes and tossed them in front of Sean. He ripped off my bandages and smirked. "You know the drill. Let me know when you're ready to talk," he said, and slammed the bathroom door, locking it.

The first time Sean locked me in the bathroom under freezing water, I tried to break down the door. But that resulted in two fractured ribs, a dislocated shoulder, and a busted lip before leaving me half-conscious in the cold water for almost twelve hours. The second time, I didn't run, but I turned the water warmer and ended with nearly the same result. After that, I understood I either accept the punishment, usually lasting a few hours, or tell Sean whatever he wanted to hear.

The cold water grew colder as time passed, and each drop felt like a needle pricking my skin. I closed my eyes and pictured myself on the beach back in Greece. Warm ocean water surrounded me, and I lay on the hot sand for hours. A smile tugged at my lips from the memory, and it stayed until I heard the bathroom door open again, and Sean pulled the curtain back.

"Want to tell me now?" Sean asked, enjoying the hell he put me in.

"H-honest Sean, everything is th-there," I stuttered from the cold. My body started shaking a while ago, but he didn't care.

"I believe you," he smirked, and I breathed a sigh of relief. "But then again, you weren't completely honest with me. Nice little stack you get here," he smirked. My eyes widened, seeing the large stack of cash he held, and my heart plummeted.

No, no, no! I thought I found a safe spot this time. I've worked relentlessly to save that money, hoping it would be enough one day. Turns out I was wrong, and now I have nothing.

The sound of the door slamming pulled me from my thoughts, and I knew I was in for a long, cold night. I tried bouncing on my toes to stay warm, but my legs cramped up, and I struggled to breathe. I opted for crouching down into a ball, despite the searing pain, and prayed Sean wouldn't return for a while. Either that, or I can stand up fast enough before he sees me.

My mind wandered to the life Sean promised me once upon a time. It seemed like a lifetime ago when in reality the last two years had been hell. I was young, and any opportunity to sleep in a warm bed was heaven. I should have listened to my gut, leaving the first time he hit me, but I didn't. Now, the only time I remember who I am and what I love is baking...alone.

Hours later, I heard the bathroom doorknob jingling, like he was struggling to open it. Probably drunk off his ass. My scrunched-up body refused to stand, taking its time. Halfway up, my legs gave out, and I grabbed the shower curtain to stop my fall. However, that came down with me. I hit my elbow pretty good on the toilet lid and my shins on the edge of the tub before landing on the even colder bathroom floor with the curtain twisted around me.

I tried to get up, but I couldn't. I didn't care what came next. Beating. Broken bones. Insults. It doesn't matter anymore; I'm done fighting him.

The shower turned off, and I heard muffled talking before warm arms lifted me, and I curled into their body. Absorbing as much heat as I could from theirs. The last thing I remember is hearing several guys talking and someone whispering my name before I passed out.