27: Shedding the Weight

Lily POV

I never thought a group of women could be so encouraging in a time of uncertainty. When I told them I wanted to stop at a hair salon, their eyes widened, and they took me to their hairdresser's place immediately. Insisting she was the best in town and wouldn't trust anyone else.

The hairdresser, Tiffany, listened to what I wanted to do, and everyone was thrilled at the idea. I've never done anything drastic with my hair, afraid of the repercussions from Sean.

Sean loved how I looked, but not enough to let me be myself and live my life without fear.

Kayla insisted on paying for my new look, despite Tiny giving me money. The girls reassured me they had plenty, but it felt wrong. Everyone has taken me in without hesitation or asking for anything in return, and it didn't sit well with me. But now, I can return Tiny's money to him, which makes me happy, even if it upsets him.

The drive back to the clubhouse was nerve-wracking.

"Do you think it's too much?" I asked the girls.

They all started talking at once.

"It's perfect!" Ginger exclaimed.

"Are you insane?!" Kayla shouted.

"There's only one question I have, and your answer is the only one that matters," Tiger said, looking at me through the rearview mirror. "Are you happy?"

Happy? No one has ever asked me that before. But sitting here with these amazing women, encouraging me to do what I wanted, felt amazing.

"Yes," I smiled.

Tiger looked back at me, saying, "Then who the fuck cares what everyone else thinks? If Tiny hates it, then I'm cutting his tongue out."

I couldn't hold back my laugh, but I knew Tiger meant her threat. Hopefully, Tiny would love it as much as I did.

We pulled into the driveway and piled out. I straightened myself out, enjoying the moments of happiness before the storm came. Trailing behind the others, I stepped inside and felt everyone staring at me.

Someone came barreling down the stairs, nearly tripping, and I realized it was Tiny. He stared at me, and I quickly looked away, not ready for his reaction. Tiny stood in front of me, and I didn't know what he was thinking.

"What do you think?" I hesitantly asked.

He twirled at a strand of my short, brown hair, pushing it behind my ear, and whispered, "I think you look happier than you've ever been, and that is all I care about. This is you, and you are perfect."

Perfect? It's a haircut. Sure, it's drastic as I cut off over twelve inches, and it sits at my shoulders, but perfect? I never thought about how my happiness could make me perfect, but I like it.

"Thanks Tiny. I needed to shed some weight and let me tell you, I already feel ten times lighter," I laughed.

Tiny and I talked about my day, and for the first time in years, I felt relaxed and at peace. Tiger suggested we go dancing at the bar tonight, and I don't know if it was the new haircut or the reassurance Tiny and the girls gave me, but I was excited to go.

The girls and I headed upstairs to get ready and find some clothes, but when I opened Tiny's bathroom door, it was in shambles. The shower, toilet, sink, everything was in pieces. I didn't want to ask Tiny what happened or where to go, but I needed to pee.

Grabbing my clothes, I stood at the railing, caught Tiny's attention, and asked about the bathroom. Tiny froze, but Hawk said there was a leak, and Killer offered his bathroom.

I found Killer's room, locked the door, and realized Tiny had brought me here the other night. Not wanting to take forever and have everyone waiting on me, I half-filled it before hopping in and washing up. Thirty minutes later, everyone was ready and headed outside.

Tiny slid his jacket over me and gave me his helmet, but I worried about his head. But he promised to get another one tomorrow. No one has shown me any form of chivalry or attention the way Tiny does, and it feels nice.

He helped me on the bike and smirked. "Trust me, Sunshine?" he asked.

No, but I'm willing to try.

The bike started up, causing me to jump and hold on to Tiny for dear life, and I felt him laugh. The Phoenix Riders are slowly allowing me to let my walls down and decide who I want to be.

This is living, and I don't think I could ever return to who I was before.

*****

The next few days, Tiger and Ginger kept me busy helping put the finishing touches on Tiger's house and watching Ellie. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that Tiny and the others were stressed, and it had something to do with me and the Devil's Disciples.

At night, Tiny and I would watch a movie or my favorite baking show. However, I couldn't concentrate with his arm wrapped around me, pulling me closer to him. It's not the first time, but every time he touches me, it gives me butterflies, and I forget how to breathe.

"You okay, Sunshine?" Tiny asked, staring at me, concerned.

"Yeah, it just-this is all new to me," I confessed.

"Watching a movie with someone? Or cuddling?" he teased.

"Both," I answered, and Tiny looked shocked and saddened.

"Sean would tell me to sit with him while he watched whatever show. It was to show me off to others that I was his and they couldn't have me. Or at least not when he's-" I stopped, not wanting Tiny to know.

The number of times Sean would possessively grab me, dragging me where he wanted was too many to count. He never considered my wants or needs and it was evident when Sean was too drunk to stop or care about his friends doing what they wanted to with me.

"I'm sorry," Tiny whispered, squeezing my hand. "If you ever feel uncomfortable around me or anyone, promise me you'll speak up. Even if you would rather tell the girls. Deal?"

Tiny genuinely wants me to feel safe and in control, far different from the life I had led before. But I don't know how to speak up for myself without feeling like I am doing wrong. I know I deserve to be happy, and I am slowly learning how to be, and Tiny only wants to help.

"Deal," I whispered, and I knew I would try my best to speak up for myself.