28: Risk or Reward

Tiny POV

In the days leading up to the job, I worked in the bathroom and practiced for my upcoming job with Gears. Although his arm was still healing, Gears agreed to help, saying he "didn't want me to fuck it up." We went through some basic skills to get back into the timing and pocket of what I needed to do. It's one thing to pick Gears' watch, wallet, and keys off him and another to break into our enemy's clubhouse and face the unknown.

Lily seemed to feel more comfortable with herself and baked something new almost every day with a smile a mile wide glued to her face. The girls also included Lily in everything they did, like working at the coffee shop or playing with Ellie.

At night, Lily and I would sit together and watch movies, but tonight, Lily was tense and uncomfortable. Usually, it takes her half an hour to relax into me, but tonight she never did.

Lily told me about Sean, and I should have known Sean never treated Lily with respect, but I didn't expect her to admit that Sean let others touch her. Lily deserves the best, and I'll be damned if I let her feel insecure, uncomfortable, or less than perfect with me.

Eventually, we called it a night. Normally, I would have gone to the guest room. But tonight, I opted for the floor, not wanting to leave Lily. An hour later, I glanced at Lily curled on the bed, grabbed my bag from the closet, and headed downstairs.

I stopped by Hawks' office and put on the button camera and earwig. Shotgun confirmed there would be no party tonight, which means I would need to be on high alert. Killer and Blade came in, and I went over my general plan, but they knew it could change within a moment's notice. It's too dangerous for any of the guys to tag along, and if I get caught, I'm on my own.

Sunshine's happiness is worth the risk.

Slinging the small pack on my back, which held rope, a lock picking kit, and a small first aid kit, I double-checked my gun and knife situation and took off. The Devil's Disciples clubhouse is a two-hour south-east drive from ours, buried in the Washington forest.

Checking my GPS, I pulled off the road about two miles from their clubhouse and walked the rest of the way. The quietness settled around me, and I mentally prepared for the unknown. Over the years, I've learned it's best not to over-plan and trust your gut.

The clubhouse came into view, and I sank behind a tree. According to Hawk, several cameras covered the back of the clubhouse, and Slasher's office window had an alarm.

I grabbed the binoculars out of my pack and looked around.

No guards. Pitch dark. Easy access up the side, with plenty of footholds, and the window is within reach from the roof's ledge. If Hawk takes care of the cameras and alarms, I will be fine. Time to go.

Grabbing my lock-picking set, I glanced at my watch. "Five minutes...now," I whispered.

"Go," Hawk called.

I scaled the fence, avoiding the barbed wire at the top, and ran to the corner wall. Looking up, I saw the office window and planned my route up the side of the building before climbing. With my long limbs, it didn't take long before I reached the roof's ledge. As I grabbed the edge, Hawk yelled at me to stop, and I froze.

"I lost their cameras. Give me a minute," he frantically said, but we didn't have time. I pulled myself up the rest of the way and crouched beneath the rotating camera above me.

Fuck it.

I waited for the camera to rotate away from the window before leaning over the ledge and around the corner to the window. Taking out my lock-picking kit, I worked on the lock, which was painted shut. Fifteen seconds before the camera swings back around, and I'm dead.

Keeping my breathing and head under control, I gave the lock one good tug, and it gave way. I leaned back, barely avoiding the camera, and waited for it to rotate again. Once it did, I threw open the window and dove into the office, shutting it behind me.

I waited for Hawk to tell me I got caught or someone heard me, but he remained silent.

The desk stood in front of me, and I quickly checked each drawer, locked ones included, and under the desk mat, but found nothing. A painting on the far wall was crooked, and looking behind it.

Bingo. Paragon Lock & Safe 7750 with a lock and keypad. Idiots.

This model comes with a key in case you forget the combination. I popped off the keypad and used one of my many "spare" keys to open it. It opened, and I found everything we needed.

Grabbing the folder labeled "evidence," I shoved it in my pack but paused, seeing another folder.

Lily.

Movement outside the door caught my attention. I quickly grabbed all the folders before closing the safe and returning everything to its previous positions. Including the crooked painting. I dove under the desk as the door opened, and a light came on.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Glancing behind me, the window was still unlocked, but there was no way I could open it and make it out in one piece.

"We have a big order coming up, but they want to see all the products before committing to the order. They'll be here in three days, and we still have a loose end," they said.

"Don't worry, I just took care of it," the other sneered.

I know that voice.

Someone grabbed something off the desk, and I squeezed my tall ass further under, praying they couldn't see me.

The light turned off, the door closed, the footsteps faded, and I could breathe again. I shoved the folders in my pack and opened the window, but I had no idea if the cameras were working again or pointed, and I didn't want to risk asking Hawk.

Moving to the corner, I tried to see the camera but couldn't. Footsteps returned, and I knew it was now or never. I was half out the window when the door opened, and I jumped, dropping to the ground. My ankle popped, and I winced in pain but rounded the corner.

"Hawk!" I gritted out, but all I heard was silence.

Think Tiny, think. One, you make a run for it and hope they have shitty aim. Two-

Bang!

"Better hope we don't catch you, fucker. Run while you can, Rider," Slasher called.

First option. Got it.

Pushing past the pain, I zig-zagged across the yard and climbed over the fence, catching myself on the barbed wire. I ran back to my bike, not knowing if they followed me, and booked it back to the clubhouse.

My tired screeched as I pulled in an hour and a half later and headed inside. Kayla and Whiskey were awake and sitting on the couch, but I hobbled past them and headed straight to Hawk's office.

Killer and Shotgun were in there as I threw the earpiece at Hawk. "What the fuck happened? You were supposed to have the cameras, and thanks to you, they know a Rider visited them!" I burst out, frustrated.

"We lost control of them, and then you went silent. I'm working on it," he assured me.

"Little late for that," I huffed, throwing the files on his desk.

"Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to bed, and I'll take this with me." I grabbed the envelope that said "Lily" and opened the door to leave, but Kayla and Whiskey stood outside, blocking the way, looking stressed.