8: Twenty

Tiny POV

Watching Tiger and Lily talk made me nervous. I wanted Lily to take the job, but ultimately, I want her to be happy. When Tiger told Lily, she seemed shocked, but when Tiger said something else, Lily blushed. Lily's light blue eyes met mine, and I smiled, hoping she would take the job.

Tiger returned to the table and said Lily would think over the offer and get back to her.

As we predicted, Lily was worried about Pops and the diner. But Lily didn't know we had another interview today and one tomorrow. Plus, we already told Pops about the job offer.

He was excited for her and hoped she would take it. He knew she deserved better than the diner and shitty pay, but we all knew he was doing the best he could. Pops wanted the best for Lily, and Tiger assured him we would take care of Lily. But I knew he was talking about me.

Everyone headed back to the clubhouse, but I stayed behind to ask Lily something. I found her in the back, taking a water break, and smiled.

Good. She needs to rest. Lord knows she's overworked and underpaid.

"Hey," she whispered, her beautiful blue eyes meeting mine.

"Hey, I know you're on break, but I wanted to ask you something," I said.

"Sure, but if it's about the coffee shop, I haven't decided," she said nervously.

I pulled up a stool and sat next to her. "No, it's not that. Um, tonight we're having a party at the clubhouse for my birthday, and I wanted-"

"Oh, shit!" she interrupted, her hands covering her mouth. "I knew I forgot something," she mumbled, dropping her head.

Rubbing her back, her body tensed at the touch, but I couldn't bring myself to pull away. "What did you forget, Sunshine?" I asked.

"I made something for your birthday and forgot it at home," she sighed, looking at me on the verge of tears.

"That's okay. I wanted to invite you to the party tonight. You could bring it then!" I claimed, hoping she would say yes.

"I don't know," she said, slumping in her chair. Her hair was disheveled and perfect, just like her.

"Maybe I could stop by for a bit. What time does it start?"

Smiling, I answered, "Whenever you get there."

Lily nodded and agreed she would try to make it. Now that I knew she was coming, I couldn't wait to spend time with Lily tonight. Even if only for an hour.

I forced her to eat before I left and returned to the clubhouse in time to conduct another interview. Tiger handed me their resume and Hawk's background check, and I looked them over.

They were clean and had some hostess experience, but no serving or cooking. No one can replace Lily, but we want to give Pops as much help as possible.

In the interview, Tiger asked simple math questions and her availability, but she would only answer if I asked. Tiger grew irritated and ready to pop off, so I thanked the girl and cut the interview short.

After walking the girl out, I found Tiger slumped in her chair, dragging her hands over her face, staring at me.

"She wasn't terrible," I offered, standing in the doorway.

"You're joking. Right? She couldn't keep her eyes off of you long enough to focus on the damn questions! That and her obnoxious gum chewing and popping drove me insane!" she stressed.

"Okay, okay. So, not my best pick, but we have another one tomorrow, and I have a good feeling about it," I offered. Tiger rolled her eyes and headed back out to the living room.

The clubhouse's living room had a couch with a TV and a few armchairs. Across from it was the main bar area, which sat eight. Three large booths sat along the other wall, and tables and chairs filled the rest of the space. We all fit comfortably, but when we throw parties, we fill it wall-to-wall.

Around five, the guys started knocking back shots, starting the party early. They will use any excuse to drink, especially for a birthday party.

Gears sat in our usual booth, and I squeezed in next to him. He passed me a beer, and I took a sip.

"So, how does it feel to be a year closer to the legal drinking age?" he laughed.

Shaking my head, I took another sip. "Let's be real. I may not be twenty-one, but I still look better than you did at twenty," I joked.

Blade and Killer laughed, tapping their bottles against mine, while Gears mumbled a "fuck you" under his breath.

We talked about any updates on the drug front or if the Tiger got any information from the girls. But the Hellhounds heard nothing, and Killer said the girls were hesitant to talk. However, those who did described Razor and Chains perfectly.

Finally, Tiger interrupted us, saying it was a party and this could wait until tomorrow. Gears handed everyone a shot and cheered to the next old-man, and the liquid burned my throat as it went down, but I didn't let it show.

I don't drink unless it's social, and tonight will be a social event for the books.

Between throwing back shots and the amazing dinner Whiskey put together, I nearly forgot Lily was stopping by. Nearly.

Lily stood on the back porch, overwhelmed and lost, holding a pink bakery box. She wore jeans with a soft yellow sweater and simple white sneakers. Lily's long brown wavy hair was tied half-up with a bow, and she looked stunning.

Her blue eyes met mine, and I walked towards her as she stepped off the porch. "You made it!" I beamed.

"Yeah, sorry I'm late," she apologized. "I-um forgot to do something earlier."

Lily didn't look at me, but I could see her eyes were puffy and cheeks were tear-stained. As though she were crying. But I didn't want to ask and bring attention to it.

"No worries, you made it, and that's what counts. Besides, you haven't missed the good stuff, I promise," I said, winking, earning a bashful smile from her.

She said nothing, and I hated the awkward silence, so I asked, "Is that the gift you forgot earlier?"

"Oh, yes. Sorry, this is for you," Lily said, handing me the gift. "I remember you telling me how much you miss home and how the food here doesn't compare."

I opened the box and beamed. Lily remembered. Buttermilk pie. A southern classic that even Whiskey can't get right, but I'd bet my left arm Lily nailed it.

Unable to contain my excitement, I kissed her cheek and hugged her. "It's perfect, Sunshine."

Even in the dimly lit backyard, I could see her pink cheeks. I noticed her shake and could feel her stiff arms through her thin sweater. Placing the box down, I took off my leather jacket and wrapped her in it. "Can't let you catch a cold at my party now, can we?" I said, and she let out a small laugh.

"Thanks, Tiny," she whispered.

The old ladies noticed her arrival and swept her away and into the party. But Lily looked over her shoulder, smiling, she took my breath away. I would do anything to keep that smile on her face.