5: Another Day

Lily POV

My head pounded, and my body refused to move as I woke up. Or attempted to. Next to me, Sean was still asleep and will continue to be for the next few hours.

I hopped out of bed and turned on the shower. As the water warmed, I shed my thin, worn pajamas and glimpsed at myself in the mirror. Thankfully, I didn't have a visible bruise on my face, but if I stare at myself for too long, I only see a shadow of a human.

Sean's handprint left a bruise on my upper arm, and my ribs had several dark purple and blue bruises and a few older, yellowing ones. My body and I have gone through worse, but after the last few days all I want is a break. A break to heal and breathe.

Wiping away the tears that collected in the corners of my eyes, I let out my breath.

It could've been worse, and Sean doesn't deserve your tears.

I prayed for warm water, knowing it was a 50/50 shot, but my body could use it. The water was scalding hot, and my body melted underneath it. Melting away last night's nightmare, allowing me to breathe. Another five minutes, and my tight, sore muscles relaxed a little as I washed my hair and Sean's remnants off me.

Thirty minutes later, I headed out the door and to the diner. Before walking in, I took two Advil to keep Pops questions and the pain at bay. If he knew how much pain I was in or how little sleep I got, he would send me home, and that cannot happen. Home is the last place I need to be.

Pasting on my best smile, I walked in the back door, placed my things in my locker, and said morning to Pops. He took a good look at me, raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to say something, but I remained silent. After a good minute he dropped it, and I headed to the front to help clear empty tables. The breakfast rush was over, so this would be the time to reset for lunch.

Grabbing a bucket and rag, I said hello to Emily, who served the last few tables. The Phoenix Riders hired Emily when they rebuilt the place, knowing Kayla couldn't work anymore and we would need the help. However, despite the extra pair of hands, she can only work three days a week in the mornings because she takes afternoon classes at the local junior college. So right now, it's usually just me and Pops. I go home everyday exhausted, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Things were steady, but the lunch rush began when Emily left around noon, and it didn't stop for several hours. Pops forced me to order something and eat before I passed out. His chicken pot pie always hits the spot, and this time was no different. I scarfed it down in the back, burning my mouth, and returned to the dining room.

I grabbed the tablet from the counter, and saw the guy who helped out yesterday sitting alone at a booth and headed for him. "Hey, you're the guy from yesterday, right?" I asked.

He looked up and shyly smiled. "Yeah. My grandma comes here almost every day for dinner, and I couldn't let her help alone," he laughed.

"Is your grandma Ms. Landon?" I asked. He nodded. "Well, I appreciate your guy's help, and whatever you want is on us," I smiled, thankful I could repay his help with a free meal.

"Thanks! Can I get a coke for now?"

"One Coke coming up. Oh, and if you can't decide what to order, I recommend the chicken pot pie. It's Pop's specialty," I smiled and left him. He seemed nice, maybe a year younger than me, but not nearly as cute as Tiny.

Shit. I can't believe I just compared him to Tiny! I mean yes, Tiny is by far the most handsome man I have ever laid eyes on and is far from scum like Sean. But he's not mine! Still doesn't mean I can't look...

Shaking my head, I walked back over to the table. "I never caught your name," I said, setting down the drink.

"Nathan," he smiled, offering me his hand.

"Lily," I said, shaking it. He ordered the chicken pot pie, and I put in his order before tending to other customers.

An hour later, he stood at the counter, ready to pay. "Hey, I thought I said your meal was free?" I laughed, pushing the twenty back to him.

"Oh, yeah, but I wanted to leave a tip and ask about the application for being a waiter," he said, showing me an Instagram post.

Taking his phone, I stared at it. Sure enough, a help wanted post stating we were looking to hire a short-order cook, and a few waiters/waitresses were on our socials. Reading about the positions, I noticed it said for inquiries to DM or text Tiny and listed a number.

Tiny? What the hell is he doing? I knew he helped set up our socials, but I didn't realize he was running them. Why does he want to hire more people? Can Kayla not come back?

Handing back Nathan's phone, I apologized. "Sorry, I don't have an application, but it says to DM or text. I'm guessing Tiny, the tall guy who asked for help the other day, will conduct the interview."

Nathan's face fell slightly, and I held back a laugh. Most people see a Phoenix Rider and run for the hills, and if you cross them, you definitely should. But Tiny is probably the least scary of them all. He is, however, the tallest of the bunch by far, and his height intimidates people off the bat.

"Don't worry, he's nice underneath his rough exterior," I laughed. He nodded, tipped me ten dollars, and said goodbye.

The rest of the shift went by in a blur. Pops insisted I go home early since I stayed late yesterday, and he would close up. Kissing his cheek, I grabbed my things from the locker and headed home, but I remembered to stop by the liquor store for more alcohol.

A guy Sean knew and ran with owned the liquor store and never asked for my I.D. Parking, I hopped out and grabbed two cases of beer, a bottle of Jack, and vodka. Charlie waited for me behind the counter and smiled.

"How are you doing, Lily?"

"Oh, you know, working and trying to keep the guys happy," I said, nodding to the alcohol with a smile, but Charlie didn't buy it. "We ran out last night. So, I'm stocking up," I whispered.

He nodded in understanding and said nothing else. Charlie has seen my bruises, but he knows better than to turn against Sean and run into trouble with his "friends." After paying, I went home and didn't see Sean's car parked in its spot, and silently thanked the man upstairs.

Upstairs, I put away the alcohol and changed into comfy lounging pants and a sweatshirt. The late January air was still crisp, and Sean hated wasting money on turning up the heater. When he's not home, I turn on the oven and leave it cracked to warm up the small kitchen.

I didn't know how long Sean would be out, but hopefully, brownies would keep him happy. Baking is a science, which is why I enjoy it. It's specific and measurable, and you can tell exactly how and why you messed up. Unlike life.