9: Buttermilk Pie

Lily POV

After my shift, I rushed home to grab the pie I made earlier and leave before Sean came home. But as I grabbed the pie from the fridge, Sean came barging in, stumbling, and whatever happy pill he was on was over.

"Lily!" he yelled, even though I stood ten feet from him.

"Yes, Sean?" I said, taking deep breaths.

"Come here and - you made pie," he exclaimed. "Cut me a slice and come sit with me, and bring me a jack and coke," he said, laying across the couch and turning on the TV.

I stared at the pie I made for Tiny and knew if I didn't comply soon, there was no way I could go to the party. Cutting a slice, I made a drink and pushed back my tears. Setting everything on the coffee table, he motioned for me to lie with him, and I did.

After five minutes, his drink was empty, and I offered him another, hoping it would tip him over and he would pass out. Handing him the fresh drink, he pulled me down and pulled my lips to his. He tasted like alcohol and old smoke. Disgusting.

"Sean, Tiger invited me to a birthday party tonight," I whispered, holding my breath. I waited for the yelling and lecture about how the Riders were ruining the town, but it never came.

Instead, his head swayed back and forth, and he stayed quiet.

"Tiger said she hasn't seen me in a while and is getting worried," I whispered, pushing my luck.

"Those fuckers, who do they think they are running this town?! Well, they don't. We do," he slurred, sneering.

"I know you do, but you know how they get, and I'm afraid if I don't at least make an appearance, they'll send someone to look for me," I said, my voice shaking slightly.

"Fine. Go appease those fuckers, but when you get home, I want you begging to please me," he laughed. I shuddered at the thought. But I would do whatever it takes to go to the party.

Tiny is worth it.

I remade the pie and served Sean two more drinks before he passed out. I didn't have time for it to sit in the fridge like it should, so I stuck it in the freezer while I changed.

I chose jeans and my favorite yellow sweater, hoping it would keep me warm throughout the night. Brushing my hair, I tied it half-up with a bow, wanting to keep it out of my eyes and let the rest fall over my shoulders down to my lower back. Applying makeup to my bruises, I double-checked myself in the mirror, left Sean a reminder note, and grabbed the pie.

*****

Twenty minutes later, I pulled into a packed Phoenix Rider driveway. Not wanting to be blocked in, I parked further down the street and nervously walked up the long driveway.

Inside, a few members said "hi" as I headed to the backyard and stood on the porch, unsure where to put the pie. Scanning the crowd, I spotted Tiny staring at me with his green eyes and award-winning smile.

Tiny isn't like the others. He's tall and lanky, built like a runner with well-defined muscles and little body fat, and was cute in a dorky way.

I felt the awkwardness between us as I gave Tiny his gift, and I was praying he didn't notice. However, I didn't expect his excitement over a pie, let alone a kiss on my cheek.

Tiny kissed me. Sure, it was a friendly kiss. That's what friends do, right? If this is normal, then why am I shaking with nerves?

Tiny took off his leather jacket and wrapped it around me, thinking I was cold.

If only he knew.

"Can't let you catch a cold at my party now, can we?" he smiled, and I laughed.

Thanking him, the girls found me and pulled me into the party. Glancing behind me, I saw Tiny staring at me, and I couldn't help but smile.

*****

"I'm so glad he invited you. Otherwise, I was going to take matters into my own hands! We haven't seen you since my wedding, and that was months ago," Kayla exclaimed.

"I know, I know. I've just been busy with work and haven't had a day off since the wedding," I laughed.

They all stared at me, astounded, but it was true. With Callie being in school, Pops couldn't give me days off.

"Please tell me you're joking," Kayla pleaded. I shrugged. "That's it. Tomorrow, I'll come in for a few hours so you can sleep in. I'm sure if I call Nathan, he would be more than happy to cover the other half of your shift."

"Thanks, Kayla, but we both know you shouldn't be working. Whiskey would have my head and no offense, but he scares me, and I'd rather listen to him," I claimed. "Plus, with Tiny and Tiger doing interviews, we should have a few new hires to help."

"We have another interview tomorrow, and I'm praying they're good because today was a disaster," Tiger huffed.

Ginger told us no more shop talk, and we headed for the dessert table. We talked, ate, and danced for another hour before Tiny found me and asked me to dance with him.

Blushing, I warned him, "I have two left feet, so I hope you don't like those shoes too much because I'll probably step on them."

Tiny laughed and pulled me into him. "Don't worry, sunshine, I'm not that great either. But I couldn't let you leave without getting at least one dance with you."

I melted in his long, muscular arms as we danced. The scent of grease and the interior of a car, and I loved it. I couldn't concentrate on anything other than my pounding heart and Tiny's hands on my waist. His touches were gentle, the opposite of Sean's, and never strayed from my waist or hips. If there's one thing I appreciate about Tiny, it's he is beyond respectful of women.

Something I wish Sean understood.

"So, how does it feel to be 20?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Honestly, no different from 19. But I have a good feeling about this year," he winked at me. I looked down at my shoes, blushing. "I never asked, but when's your birthday? Just want to make sure I have time to think of something special for your present, just like you did mine," he asked.

He didn't need to do anything for my birthday, but I knew he would anyway, and it would be perfect. "March 7th. I'll finally be eighteen, and I cannot wait," I blurted out. Whoops.

Tiny stopped dancing, pulled away, and looked at me, shocked. "Wait, you're not eighteen yet?" he asked.

I shook my head, worried I said the wrong thing. His face changed to worry, and I knew I messed up. Shit.

"Lily, I want you to be honest with me for a minute. Are your parents hurting you, or is something happening at home? If you need out before you're eighteen, we have-"

"No, no, Tiny. It's okay. My parents aren't-it's fine. I'm just ready for something different, that's all." I assured him.

Well, it's true. My parents aren't abusing me...Sean is.

His hand grazed my cheek, and I embraced his warmth. "Lily, promise me if anything ever happens, you'll call me. I don't care what time or where you are, okay? I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you," he whispered.

I nodded as he reached into his back pocket and took out his phone before asking me to put my number in. I looked at the time and realized I had left for the party over three hours ago, and I panicked.

Shoving the phone back into Tiny's hands, I apologized and said I needed to get home. Tiny and the girls called after me, but all I could think about was getting home before Sean woke up.

Despite driving over the speed limit the entire way, Sean was waiting at the door for me. Fuming.

Tonight will be one he won't let me forget for a long time.