7. Gale the polecat

Y/n POV

I was overboard with Leo and Nico. We were about to go to sleep. It was morning and apparently all of us are night owls. Who would've guessed. Then we Heard- Hazel scream. The three of us quickly ran to her room and Jason, Piper and Frank were already there. They made way for Nico as brother and stuff. Leo was standing in front of me? I was standing on my toes to be able to see. And there was a polecat and it ran towards Leo before I could process. Leo turned to run away towards the door where I was standing and well his lips were on my lips level.

I AM NOT SAYING ANYMORE. But gosh both of us were very embarrassed. Luckily no one had noticed or so I thought. Only 2 people had: Nico and Piper. I don't know if I'm relieved that out of everyone only they saw or panicked. I don't have to worry about Piper. Right? But Nico I have a feeling he won't tease me but a few days ago I also thought he wouldn't talk to me. People can be surprising.  

Anyways, after breakfast the three of us just slept as being awake for the whole night and from 6.00 pm to 9.00 am can be exhausting. I only knew Hazel  and Frank were on watch. Nico had already slept. I always slept after him despite being tired. Because he had a tendency to not sleep. It had happened enough times for me sleeping afterward to become a habit. 

I woke up by falling off my bed and hitting my head in the cupboard. Blood was coming out of my head. But war waits for no injuries so I just went. "Gahh!" Leo yelled somewhere behind her. "It's eating the oars!"

What is? Everyone else was scrambling. Jason jumped over them, his sword drawn, and raced toward the stern. Piper was already on the quarterdeck, shooting food from her cornucopia and yelling, "Hey! HEY! Eat this, ya stupid turtle!" Turtle? What in hades? 

I didn't question anything or talk to anyone I just quickly wore my armour, drew my sword. And ran towards the stern. Frank was behind me he quickly shot an arrow. Notching a second one Up in the rigging, Nico's face was slack with shock. 

When I heard the word turtle, I  thought of a cute little thing the size of a jewelry box, sitting on a rock in the middle of a fishpond. When she heard huge, her mind tried to adjust—okay, perhaps it was like the Galapagos tortoise but no it was a whole island with massive dome of craggy black and brown squares, the word turtle simply did not compute. Its shell was more like a landmass—hills of bone, shiny pearl valleys, kelp and moss forests, rivers of seawater trickling down the carapace. "Styx—it's huge!" he yelled. "Port! Go port!"

Coach Hedge was the last one on deck. He compensated for that with enthusiasm. He bounded up the steps, waving his baseball bat, and without hesitation goat-galloped to the stern and leaped over the rail with a gleeful "Ha- HA!"

The boat shuddered. More oars snapped, and Leo yelled, "No, no, no! Dang slimy-shelled son of a mother!"

I also got my spear because my sword couldn't reach that far. I tried to hit it but my spear just bounced off its shell. I attacked its head. WHAT IS THIS THING MADE OF NOTHING HURTS IT. I thought I was just incompetent but Jason was also not able to attack even with the advantage of flying neither was Frank the turtle blinked with such precision that it didn't take the hit to eyes. The turtle was also weirdly focused on Argo II. Like if I was a turtle I would rather eat the cantaloupes that Piper was shooting not a ship made of metal and wood. I haven't ever ate metal or wood but cantaloupes are definitely tastier. 

"How did it get so close?" Hazel demanded.

Leo threw his hands up in exasperation. "Must be that shell. Guess it's invisible to sonar. It's a freaking stealth turtle!"

"Can the ship fly?" Piper asked.

"With half our oars broken off?" Leo punched some buttons and spun his Archimedes sphere. "I'll have to try something else."