19. Will saves the day

After weeks of waiting, agonizing and steaming, the Greeks and Romans wanted blood. Trying to stop the battle now would be like trying to push back a flood after the dam broke.

Will Solace saved the day.

He put his fingers in his mouth and did a taxicab whistle even more horrible than the last. Several Greeks dropped their swords. A ripple went through the Roman line like the entire First Cohort was shuddering.

'DON'T BE STUPID!' Will yelled. 'LOOK!'

He pointed to the north, and Nico grinned from ear to ear. REYNA there she was with the Athena Parthenos gleaming in the sunrise, flying in from the coast, suspended from the tethers of six winged horses. Roman eagles circled but did not attack. A few of them even swooped in, grabbed the cables and helped carry the statue.

Reyna Ramírez-Arellano rode on Guido's back. Her sword was held high. Her purple cloak glittered strangely, catching the sunlight. Huh strange. 

Both armies stared, dumbfounded, as the forty-foot-tall gold and ivory statue came in for a landing.

'GREEK DEMIGODS!' Reyna's voice boomed as if projected from the statue itself, like the Athena Parthenos had become a stack of concert speakers. 'Behold your most sacred statue, the Athena Parthenos, wrongly taken by the Romans. I return it to you now as a gesture of peace!' Oh my god I would marry her if Leo wasn't in the picture. 

'Romans!' Reyna yelled. 'I do this for the good of the legion, for the good of Rome. We must stand together with our Greek brethren!'

'Listen to her!' Nico marched forward. I'm proud of his confidence to say the least. 

Yet he strode between the battle lines, his black sword in his hand. 'Reyna risked her life for all of you! We brought this statue halfway across the world, Roman and Greek working together, because we must join forces. Gaia is rising. If we don't work together –'

YOU WILL DIE.

The voice shook the earth. The feeling of peace and safety instantly vanished. Wind swept across the hillside. The ground itself became fluid and sticky, the grass pulling at Nico's boots. I ran to him and pulled him towards me. It was an useless gesture because ground is everywhere but at least I can protect him this way. 

A FUTILE GESTURE.

The entire length of Long Island resonated with her vocal cords.

BUT, IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, YOU MAY DIE TOGETHER.

'No ...' Octavian scrambled backwards. 'No, no ...' He broke and ran, pushing through his own troops.

'CLOSE RANKS!' Reyna yelled.

The Greeks and Romans moved together, standing shoulder to shoulder as all around them the earth shook.

Octavian's auxilia troops surged forward, surrounding the demigods. Both camps put together were a minuscule dot in a sea of enemies. They would make their final stand on Half-Blood Hill, with the Athena Parthenos as their rallying point.

But even here they stood on enemy ground. Because Gaia was the earth, and the earth was awake. I'm not going down without a fight. 

I have never felt this focused. I'm trying everything using the skills to control monsters because technically they are a bit animal.

Narrator's POV 

Y/n is slashing with Nico at her side. The ground is wobbling but the cuts are accurate. He and Piper landed on the hill, their swords drawn, and a cheer went up from the Greeks and the Romans.