6. Discounted American Tomago

Reyna and Nico dropped onto a large birdcage, which promptly broke, dumping them into a cluster of potted ferns along with three very alarmed parrots. Coach Hedge hit the canopy over a bar. I landed in some hedge(lol) on the side. The Athena Parthenos landed on her feet with a THUMP, flattening a patio table and flipping a dark green umbrella, which settled onto the Nike statue in Athena's hand, so the goddess of wisdom looked like she was holding a tropical drink.

I was just covered in leaves. I stood up. 

'Gah!' Coach Hedge yelled. The canopy ripped and he fell behind the bar with a crash of bottles and glasses. The satyr recovered well. He popped up with a dozen miniature plastic swords in his hair, grabbed the soda gun and served himself a drink.

'I like it!' He tossed a wedge of pineapple into his mouth. 'But next time, kid, can we land on the floor and not ten feet above it?'

Nico dragged himself out of the ferns. He collapsed into the nearest chair and waved off a blue parrot that was trying to land on his head. After the fight with Lycaon, Nico had discarded his shredded aviator jacket. His black skull-pattern T-shirt wasn't in much better shape. 

No bones are broken. Yay. Then I said "I'm safe because I landed on a Hedge. Thanks Coach. GET IT?" No one laughed. They're so stupid. But I noticed something Reyna looks like a deer in headlights. 

"Zhang stop being weird." Coach said in the most serious voice I have ever heard. But he was enjoying yourself. 

'I've gotta sleep.' Nico looked up in a daze. 'Are we safe?' I'm getting more concerned about him day by day. He looks almost transparent but not really. Like he was transparent for only a second. Behind a wall of glass doors, the restaurant's interior was dark. The only sound was the fountain gurgling forlornly and the occasional squawk of a disgruntled parrot.

'This is Barrachina,' Reyna said.

'What kind of bear?' Hedge opened a jar of maraschino cherries and chugged them down. 'It's a famous restaurant,' Reyna said, 'in the middle of Old San Juan. They invented the piña

colada here, back in the 1960s, I think.'

Nico pitched out of his chair, curled up on the floor and started snoring.

Coach Hedge belched. 'Well, it looks like we're staying for a while. If they haven't invented any

new drinks since the sixties, they're overdue. I'll get to work!'

While Hedge rummaged behind the bar, Reyna whistled for Aurum and Argentum. After their fight with the werewolves, the dogs looked a little worse for wear, but Reyna placed them on guard duty. I felt bad for the dogs but I know Reyna doesn't have ulterior motives with them. 

Reyna glanced at Nico. Despite the warm night, he shivered on the tile floor. She pulled a blanket out of her pack and covered him up.

Reyna no longer felt self-conscious about wanting to protect him. For better or worse, they shared a connection now. Each time they shadow-travelled, they seemed to get closer. I was a bit jealous but I'm not voicing that it's extremely stupid. 

Tonight was 25 July. Seven more days until 1 August. In theory, that was plenty of time to reach Long Island. Once they completed their mission, if they completed their mission.

'You want a smoothie?' asked the coach. 'This one is pineapple, mango, orange and banana, buried under a mound of shaved coconut. I call it the Hercules!'

'I – I'm all right, thanks.' She glanced up at the balconies ringing the atrium. It still didn't seem right to her that the restaurant was empty. A private party. HTK. 'Coach, I think I'll scout the second floor. I don't like –'